• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine died while driving

Tahoedawg

Loc.
Eugene
My 77 died while driving. Plenty of gas and the engine turns over.
It seems like there is no spark. Any idears?
Thanks

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Too many idears...can you narrow it down a bit? What did it do when it died? Sounds electrical to me, but could be fuel or spark related as well. The last time I had a rig die suddenly without warning, it was the ignition switch.

OP
OP
T

Tahoedawg

Loc.
Eugene
I was rolling along and it just died...there was no warning. It will turn over and gas is still flowing. The heater does not come on now either.

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
Definitely sounds like an ignition switch if the heater is not coming on either. Or maybe you burned out the fusible link in the harness if something shorted to ground. But I'd check the ignition switch first it's more common. Do you have a lot of keys hanging off your keychain? I've heard stories where that caused the ignition switch to fail because of the weight constantly leveraging off the ignition key.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Pop the cap and make sure the rotor is still spinning. Could have lost a timing chain.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd check the output of the ignition switch too. Use a volt meter and check the different positions.
If you can crank the starter, then the fusible link is still good. So is the connection under the dash by the ammeter. If either of those had lost their connection, literally nothing would work. Including the starter.

Your '77 would have a Duraspark II ignition system on it, so it's always possible that the ICM (ignition control module) died an early death. It can happen suddenly unfortunately.
When mine did that, it almost always fired right back up. Turned out to be a bad connection at the ignition coil like Oleguy mentioned in another thread.

Good luck. Assume you got back home ok to get back on the computer, but did that happen under it's own power eventually? Or did you get a tow?

Paul

OP
OP
T

Tahoedawg

Loc.
Eugene
Thanks Paul,
Unfortunately it was the ride of shame.....I was only a half mile from home base and was headed out to romp in the snow. and yes I can crank it over and it all sounds fine..just the lack of life. thank you everyone for the input it narrows it down for me to start the dreaded electrical search. At least my garage is warm:)

OP
OP
T

Tahoedawg

Loc.
Eugene
Ok
I have a smoking hot red and green ignition wire. Ive pulled the whole switch out..is it time for a new one?

OP
OP
T

Tahoedawg

Loc.
Eugene
The red and green ignition wire gets hot from plug to inline fuse..nothing after that and it stop heating up when i unplug from ignition switch. Any ideas?
Thanks

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The red and green ignition wire gets hot from plug to inline fuse..nothing after that and it stop heating up when i unplug from ignition switch. Any ideas?
Thanks

Yes, give a shout out to Viperwolf. He has cyberfixed many electrical problems through this site.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
If there is no spark then the most common thing is the ICM. Have you checked the power supply at the coil and ICM? I would start there and work your way back. When I use to drive the cars/trucks with the ICM I would always carry a spare. My point is buying one to see if it will work isn't a bad thing because you would have a spare if yours turned out to be good.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Thanks

I give up cyber fixing ignition as soon as I see there is an inline fuse holder in the wiring. That isn't right, no idea what is going on there.