• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine fire in 1969 bronco

Mtgrizzlymn

Got quoted 4200 just for wiring! Does this seem high? Even a complete harness installed wouldn't cost that would it?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Seems ridiculous to me. You can install a complete Centech or Painless in about three days. Even at $100 per hour, that's $2,400 plus the cost of the harness.

Germd

Seems ridiculous to me. You can install a complete Centech or Painless in about three days. Even at $100 per hour, that's $2,400 plus the cost of the harness.

$2400 about what I figured. Maybe if you had a group of federal employees install it might cost $4600:eek:

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just do it yourself, unless you just don't have the time. Lots of help on here, 4 things to gain from doing it yourself:
1: you will get to understand how the system works, which will make trouble shooting easier
2: save yourself a lot of $, espec from a quote like that one
3: self satisfaction that you did it yourself
4: no one is gonna take the time and do it just the way you want

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Is that just wiring, or wiring with components?
Are they having a hard time finding all original wiring, not considering the aftermarket alternative?

Might also be a sign that they don't want to work on it. Bid it to the point you walk, or if you still go for it they can farm it to someone else. I've thrown out high bids for stuff I don't want to do. Bittersweet when they take it, sucky job but pays really well.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I retired mine in a weekend including the EFI using a Ron Francis kit. Very simple with great instructions!

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
I was quoted by a local Bronco shop $3,500 to use my Painless kit. I asked why so much, and he said that we was going to totally re-wire with his own wiring, and get this, he said "those kits are made for hot rods, and not broncos"! So, lesson learned... Go to a younger guy who is not set in their ways.

gnpenning

Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Besides make wallets lighter. What type of vehicles do they specialize in? Did the fire damage wiring further back? What about sensors, did they get ruined? Is the shop in MIzzu

Are you interested in doing any of it yourself?

OP
OP
Mtgrizzlymn

Mtgrizzlymn

Yes I am I don't want them to total my bronco, they valued it at 18000 but the way everyone is trying to rip the insurance off I'm going to have to. Another shop wants 3000 to pull motor so painter can repaint behind engine and engine compartment, the reinstall engine with new carb hoses valve covers and 2 sensors. I don't understand it.these guys are rip offs I'm thinking

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
I had never touched a wire before I took on the Painless system for my frame off. Was easy plus they have great customer service if you run into trouble.

Do it yourself, pocked the money. Just make sure you purchase a good crimper and a soldering iron.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I had never touched a wire before I took on the Painless system for my frame off. Was easy plus they have great customer service if you run into trouble.

Do it yourself, pocked the money. Just make sure you purchase a good crimper and a soldering iron.
I did the Painless also. Probably one of best upgrades I did and went in without a hitch.
My automotive wiring experience is installing a cassette player in the 1980's.

67RT

Bronco Guru
If insurance is involved just let them do their job, and cut a check big enough for a quality shop to do the Job. Don't sweat 1k up or down unless it is coming out of your pocket. And don't do it yourself unless the truck will be put away for the winter anyway. Most companies will not cut you a check based on a quote anyway. Just take it to a shop that will get it done quickly. That is why we have insurance, to not worry about these things. If they are doing their job properly, that is how they will take care of you. Go to an A rated BBB shop and let it go. My two cents..

kancox

I agree with 67rt.Let the insurance co and the shops play their games,if they total it you have the right to buy it back. normally they want 10%. So you have your bronco and 16000.00.Do as much work on it as you can and sub out the rest

OP
OP
Mtgrizzlymn

Mtgrizzlymn

Well I'll quit worrying about it! If they total it I'll buy it back for sure!

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Just out of curiosity is it specialty insurance specific to classics, or a typical vehicle policy?

OP
OP
Mtgrizzlymn

Mtgrizzlymn

At what point does an insurance company total a vehicle? Is there a certain percentage?