• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine freshly built... is it okay if I've already hand cranked it about 20 times?

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
I guess I'm just concerned that I might have dispersed the lubricant in the bearings or something... This is my first rebuild so I'm trying to be extra careful and cautious. If I lubed everything with the right stuff and with plentiful amounts, do you think I'll be fine even though I've hand turned it over about 20 times in the process of putting it back together??

Thanks! =]

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
...so the lifters are already installed...right? :)

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm not an expert, but it should be fine...20 times is nothing considering it's going to fire up and run 2000 RPM, or 33.3 revs per second when you break in the cam. I probably rotated my 429 build double that getting the valvetrain figured out, and then struggled to get it to fire due to a distributor issue, so I was far more concerned about cranking it with the starter than by hand and it still turned out fine.

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Before I start a new engine I use a 1/4" socket to turn oil pump to get things lubed up. If it's a flat tappet cam you could grind the cam lobes if it isn't oiled. Much less likely with roller lifters.

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
An easy way to pre-oil is to remove the spark plugs and crank the engine until oil pressure shows on the gauge. This tells you for sure your oil pump is gonna work when you fire it up, and preoils the engine to prevent wear. Since you're not creating heat or making compression, there's no load and as long as you used some type of assembly lube you'll be fine. I use this method when I rebuild recips for airplanes and on my rebuilds for engines that stay on terra firma.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Only 20 times?

Yea, it will be fine. When hand cranking it you can't go fast enough to build any signifient compression and thus no signifient load on anything.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
You're fine. Get one of those tools (or make one from an old distributor) so that you can spin the oil pump with a hand drill. Mine built a lot of oil pressure that way then I immediately fired it and did the cam break in. Been running fine ever since!

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
X3...definitely prime the engine prior to firing. I used a hand drill and series of extensions and such to drive the oil pump directly until I had oil all up through the valve train and everything was nice and juicy.