• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine mount location for installation?

jasonv

Hi,

I'm dropping in my newly rebuilt engine. Do I put engine mounts on the engine on on the frame for drop in? I did it once years ago but don't recall.

Thanks
Jason

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
I installed my motor yesterday, and yes we attached the motor mounts to the motor before installing it. Went in with no problems...

jcasey12

When I put a new engine in mine, I left the motor mounts in place on the frame and then lowered the engine onto them.....no issues doing it that way. So, I guess you can do it either way!

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm just an odd duck I guess

I drop the engine in without the mounts on the engine or the frame. I get the engine and trans matted then raise them both up just a bit, slide the mounts in the fame then lower the engine down on the mounts.

I fined that with my 351W (unfortunately had to remove it several times) it's best this way as it give me a bit more "wiggle" and angle to get things mated.

Lots of ways to skin a cat

Tim

DJs74

Bronco Guru
I don't think there is a carved in stone right or wrong approach, depending on your specific setup, one might work better than the other but neither is wrong.
For me personally, I try to go the route of installing the mounts to the motor first just for ease of assembly on the engine hoist versus in the engine bay.

With that being said, just a couple months ago when putting mine back together (351W platform), it wanted to be a bitch and not cooperate with the mounts on the motor. When trying to position the motor to engage with the bellhousing dowels, the threaded studs on the motor mounts kept catching on the edge of the tower slots and I was also up against the firewall on the driver side cylinder head so something had to give... ended up taking the motor mounts off, dowel pins engaged, started a couple bolts finger tight, plenty of room on the firewall.
The only slight issue I had was getting the driver side mount back in between the tower and the block because I was hitting the firewall again... end up "rolling" the motor over a little versus lifting it straight up with the hoist to get it back in.
If you have a floor jack or transmission jack, you can manipulate the transmission up / down while working the engine with the hoist to achieve the best alignment.

DJs74

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I don't think there is a carved in stone right or wrong approach, depending on your specific setup, one might work better than the other but neither is wrong.
For me personally, I try to go the route of installing the mounts to the motor first just for ease of assembly on the engine hoist versus in the engine bay.

With that being said, just a couple months ago when putting mine back together (351W platform), it wanted to be a bitch and not cooperate with the mounts on the motor. When trying to position the motor to engage with the bellhousing dowels, the threaded studs on the motor mounts kept catching on the edge of the tower slots and I was also up against the firewall on the driver side cylinder head so something had to give... ended up taking the motor mounts off, dowel pins engaged, started a couple bolts finger tight, plenty of room on the firewall.
The only slight issue I had was getting the driver side mount back in between the tower and the block because I was hitting the firewall again... end up "rolling" the motor over a little versus lifting it straight up with the hoist to get it back in.
If you have a floor jack or transmission jack, you can manipulate the transmission up / down while working the engine with the hoist to achieve the best alignment.

DJs74

Yup, that was the same issues I was having with my W

Tim