• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

engine mount question, Bell housing torque spec

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Hello. About ready to put the engine back in the bronco tomorrow. I went to bolt up the engine mounts and just noticed that there is definetly a left and right mount. they are not marked though, and I didn't take notice when I pulled them off the block.

I pulled a rough measurement of 4.25" and 3" from the center of the threaded stud to the mounting bolt holes that would attach the mount to the frame.

Depending on which way you use these, left side or right side, it would move the engine forward or backward.

Anyone know which is correct? Should the threaded stud to front mounting hole be the 4.25" or the 3" distance. Again, just rough measurements to make a point.

Please let me know whatcha all know.

Also, anyone know that torque spec on the bell housing to engine block? The Haynes manual I have says 25 ft pounds, but that doesn't seem like it would be enough, given the size of the bolts.

thanks.

Muskrat

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
pics Dave? i've never seen left/right mounts. Everyone i have had is the same. as for the bell housing that sounds right, the housing is aluminum correct?

broncojo

Loc.
Lewis Run, PA
Motor mounts shouldn't make a difference left or right unless you have something special. I use 35 ft/lbs for the bell housing, but a couple of my books say 25 ft/lb.

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
I know on my 351w stroker I reused the mounts that the po had put on the 351w it had in it at the time I bought it and the mounts are offset about the amount that you describe , just reinstalled it all this last summer and all fit great, water pump to rad clearance , transfer case crossover mount etc . I'll take a look and see which way the offset is on mine. I had marked my d and p when I removed them.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Stick with the Hayne's stock spec. As mentioned housing is aluminum and you can crck the housing if you go too much.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is no left or right motor mount. The bosses on the block are offset to correct for it. Can't get it wrong, just bolt them on and they will line up.

Bellhousing torque? I am either struggling to reach it and no way to ever think about a torque wrench. Just tighten it. Or if it is out of the truck I just give a light hit with the impact wrench. Although I guess if you really wanted to do it right http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque.htm What markings are on the bolt head?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
38-55 ft-lbs for the bellhousing.

25 ft-lbs sounds like pressure plate bolts.

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
I was thinking 25#sounded low since there 7/16 bolts. I was going to say 45# based on 7/16 but didn't have a reference other then memory, A little blue Loctite not a bad idea either.

OP
OP
muskrat

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Well, the engine is back in! YOu guys were correct, there is no right or left hand side, even though when you look at the mounts, it seems like there should be.

Don't ask me how, but here isn't.

Thanks for the help everyone.