• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine/Tranny/tcase installation order

theshadow

Planning my installation for the drivetrain, and wondering what the most logical order of installation is with the body on?

Specifically a 5.0 block, 4R70W, and Dana 20.

Using Tom's crossmember and JBFab twin stick.

Engine with tranny together, then tcase?

Engine alone, and tranny/tcase together from below?

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I may be wrong as my body was off but I'd mount engine first then your tranny 2nd. maybe have your cross member attached to trans and twin sticks installed? Not sure if you have a hoist, but theres not alot of room between the tunnel and where the shifters connect, unless you cut a larger hole. I do know when I pulled my stuff with the body on I pulled motor first, then dropped trans by removing the two bolts that held the cross member to the frame. Good luck

bratengj

I installed each individually, starting with the engine and working my way back to the T.C. Not saying that's the best way but it was the best way for me.

Jfryjfry

We did it with all three together. Had to abort the first attempt to remount the engine leveler. It was a bit butt puckery but it worked. In the middle of it I said I’d do the tfer case separately but it was definitely easier to bolt them all together outside of the truck.

So I’d probably do it the same way again.

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Engine first, ....then the Tranny and T-case as 1 unit

OP
OP
theshadow

theshadow

Interesting feedback, a little bit of all scenarios. I really wanted to try all 3 together, but it seemed like I barely squeaked out the engine/tranny together when I pulled the old out.
ea5fbd785704cbfe100a29b292b27c73.jpg

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting feedback, a little bit of all scenarios. I really wanted to try all 3 together, but it seemed like I barely squeaked out the engine/tranny together when I pulled the old out.

You need to move your engine hoist arm out 1 more bolt

OP
OP
theshadow

theshadow

We did it with all three together. Had to abort the first attempt to remount the engine leveler. It was a bit butt puckery but it worked. In the middle of it I said I’d do the tfer case separately but it was definitely easier to bolt them all together outside of the truck.

So I’d probably do it the same way again.
Did you have your front clip completely together? What tranny do you have?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
ea5fbd785704cbfe100a29b292b27c73.jpg

You could remove the front tires and rims and set the front axle on short jackstands, that would gain you some space as well. Just a thought, good luck with it!

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
With all 3 together the t-case adds some weight to make the assembly tail heavy which is helpful for getting up and over the core support. Any time I have ever needed all 3 pieces in or out I do them together.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Everyone has their preference. I absolutely HATE installing the transmission and transfer case from underneath when the engine is already in.

To me it is MUCH easier to bolt the engine in from the engine bay when the transmission is already in than it is to install the tranny to engine from below.

So, I install the transmission and transfer case from below, then drop the engine in. Much, much, much easier in my experience.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It looks scary, but it goes in best with all 3 bolted together on the floor first and dropped in as a package.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The offset weight of the t-case makes it a pita under the truck. If you slide it in all in one you just jack up the t-case and install the crossmember. Even easier with a 1" body lift.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pull the front tires off drop the front end, then try all three in from front, my issue was overhead clearance, only 7 feet.

OP
OP
theshadow

theshadow

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll give the 3 together a shot and drop the front a bit like suggested.

Won't be for another few months but wanted to get ahead of the staging.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Late to the party with this, but just did the explorer motor and 4R70W install in my 69.
The last few installs I had the body off and did it as a unit with all 3 pieces.

This time I took the wheels off and placed the front axle on blocks. Remember to have it high enough to clear the engine hoist legs.

Angled the engine/trans with the engine strap, wrapped a towel around the D20 adapter a zip tied in place. Had help from my son and we got it in with out too much effort. I put the cross member in that I modified myself.

All good right... No we bolted in the D20 and there is just one bottom nut you can't get to because of the cross member. Jack up the trans with a block of wood and floor jack, unbolt the crossmember and one of the frame brackets to install and tighten the last nut.

Such fun...

ngsd

Bronco Guru
I just put mine in and it developed a rod knock so out it came. I took off the front tires and used bare steel wheels and set them on another wheel to keep it lower and get the hoist under it. I used a leveling puller and it was a piece of cake to take it out as a unit. I like this better as I can assemble on the bench.

engine pull1.jpg

engine pull2.jpg

engine pull3.jpg

engine pull4.jpg