• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine trouble unexpected

Tulsa76bronco

Engine was running g great. Just had a lot of work on it, new parts coil, distributor spark plug wires, fixed wiring around the starter selonoid everything grounded properly and they got the alternator working. Took it out to try out the 4x4 drove 10 miles engine running great got to the woods and made it in 50 yards before it shut off? Started it back up started to go again and same. Flipped the gas tanks started again went off again started having smoke come through dash. Really hot, radiator boiling over to the over floor temp was around 200.

Maybe it was getting hot while driving it over there not sure. What should I check first buddy and I are thinking water sensor is bad or water pump not working properly

Any suggestions
Never could get it to fire up again even after it cooled down. It turns over fine but won't start. Gas flow maybe?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Sure some of that smoke wasn't magic electric smoke? Need to make sure you have spark and fuel. If you have those check compression. I'd be happy run over this weekend to help check those things if it would help, just let me know, might cost you a couple of glasses of water if it's as hot as it was today lol.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Engine was running g great. Just had a lot of work on it, new parts coil, distributor spark plug wires, fixed wiring around the starter selonoid everything grounded properly and they got the alternator working. Took it out to try out the 4x4 drove 10 miles engine running great got to the woods and made it in 50 yards before it shut off? Started it back up started to go again and same. Flipped the gas tanks started again went off again started having smoke come through dash. Really hot, radiator boiling over to the over floor temp was around 200.

Maybe it was getting hot while driving it over there not sure. What should I check first buddy and I are thinking water sensor is bad or water pump not working properly

Any suggestions
Never could get it to fire up again even after it cooled down. It turns over fine but won't start. Gas flow maybe?

Sure some of that smoke wasn't magic electric smoke? Need to make sure you have spark and fuel. If you have those check compression. I'd be happy run over this weekend to help check those things if it would help, just let me know, might cost you a couple of glasses of water if it's as hot as it was today lol.

Now that is an offer of a lifetime for sure. Take Yeller up on that offer, just make sure you don't give him Sand Springs or Sapulpa water... ;D

Jfryjfry

Well, I'd guess that the problem is related to the work that was just done.
But start by seeing if it will start with ether. If not, then likely ignition. If it does but doesn't keep running then it's likely ignition.

Jfryjfry

And 200 temp shouldn't be boiling over if the system is working properly. Check radiator cap and make sure nothing is clogged up and the system is full and bled properly.

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

What a miracle is started right up this morning ��. After talking with Steve we are pretty sure it is all cooling so ordering a new shiny wild horses 4 core radiator(as soon as it is in stock of course ) changing the thermostat just in case and then will try it all again

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
212 degrees is the boiling point for straight water and no pressure cap at sea level.
If yours was bubbling, you have a leaky head gasket or crack somewhere.

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

Well pulled the thermostat to put new one in and guess what there was no thermostat in it. Is that common?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
yes, due to old school fools back in the day. you really want a 180 degree thermostat for old carb engines. fuel injection you want 195 thermostat.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's what gets me... it ran find on the road and as soon as he got to the woods - probably hit a few bumps - things went south. Sounds like something was loose and maybe came loose, like a ground or other wiring. Is it carb or EFI?

You've got Steve's help so I'd say you are ahead of the curve. He has always been great help to me!

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

Waiting on a radiator then will try again grounds are solid just had them all put on new. Yes I do have a newly rebuild carb. I was sitting for about 10 minutes in the woods waiting on my buddy so no air flow but who knows

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
You'll know soon enough:)

as for the running, pretty sure it was vapor locked and took a while to get cool enough to run. I've found it fairly common to have an old radiator that looks good through the neck and outlets but when it warms up the tubes begin to collapse, the warmer it gets the more tubes collapse creating a domino effect where the motor is fine one minute and boiling over the next. Let it cool and it might go 10 minutes or it might go a month before it does it again, creating a frustrating loop that is difficult to diagnose. The missing thermostat aggravates the diagnosis issue, it keeps the engine very cool longer and maybe not even up to a good temperature to start with so the issue doesn't show up until there is added cooling load from low air movement and/or heavy engine load. so if there is no signs of head gasket issues, black funk in the filler neck or coolant in the oil radiator is the place to start. Blown head gaskets rarely cause extreme instant overheating, if they do it usually isn't overheating, its engine compression pushing the coolant out of the system and then overheats due to the loss of coolant. I'm quite confident this will solve the issue.

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

just have to wait until WH gets it back in stock....patiently waiting hope I can get it before OCBR

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
smoke in the dash check the resistance wire from the ignition switch to the coil. wire by itsself normally pink.