• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

engine trouble

broncobusted

Dear bronco people can you help me. I am working on a sixty nine 302 and have had the head re done, replaced distributer ,coil, plugs, wires , vacuum hoses and rebuilt carb.and bottom end overhaul. I can not find or know the name of a part of the vacuum system that sits on the rear passenger side of the intake manifold. It has a hose that goes to carb one to front of distributer and one to intake vacuum port. My book calls it a vacuum advance control valve but every part person ive asked has never heard of or seen one of these. My engine will not advance and i have changed all other parts does anyone know what this is called or if it is even the source of my frustration. Help thank you.

707Bronk

You have any pictures? I've never seen what you are talking about based on your description.

Is it the stock distributor? Is the distributor a dual diaphram advance (does it have one or two vac hoses coming out of the distributor?)?

I'm sure someone will be along here shortly to steer you in the right direction.

OP
OP
broncobusted

broncobusted

thank you

Thank you for your reply. I will take a pic and see if i can upload it. Much appreciated this is the first classic bronc ive ever worked on. Love this truck was my dads. Again thanx.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I know what your talking about my 71 has one as well. Im not sure on its name but you may have it correct. But I've pretty much bypassed it. Most people go with the single port advance on there distributer and ret rid of all the extra stuff that no longer works and is hard to find new. If you want to keep the system you might try the mustang restoration companies they may have the part your looking for.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even without vacuum advance connected, your distributor should still advance with just the mechanical system as you raise the rpm.
Like was said, you can leave that bit disconnected, plug all the manifold vacuum lines so you don't have a leak (or just route the hoses back on themselves) and simply hook up the ported vacuum line on the carb to the front fitting on your distributor.

Does your new distributor have one or two ports on the vacuum advance? Your original would have had two, but one was for retarding timing instead.
If you hook up your ported vacuum signal to the front fitting on the diaphragm, you should be good to go.

What carb do you have? If you're not sure which port to hook the hose to, someone here will know. Depending on which carb.
Generally speaking, it's whichever port/tube is higher up on the carb body. But that's not a guarantee. Just a general rule of thumb for some carbs.

Good luck.

Paul