• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine Upgrade Options

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
First, thank you all for talking me out of selling my rig. Now to start tackling my list of upgrades.

The one I need the most help with is what to do with my engine. I built this engine about a year ago which was the first time I'd ever rebuilt an engine myself. While it does run, I think I built it "loose" and my biggest complaint is that the rear main seal leaks. I replaced it twice now and the last time I did, I realized that the crank has a grove in it thus not sealing with the seal. I'd like to replace the crank and have a professional do the work to ensure it is built correctly etc.

With that said, I'm debating between the following options:

1. Take the engine somewhere and let them tell me what to do... BORING!!
2. Buy a short block crate motor
3. Buy a stroker kit and have someone install it.
4. Buy a stroker kit and do it myself (cross fingers I do it right).

The engine is a 5.0 from a 98 explorer which I had it bored .20 over when I built it a few years ago. I have the GT40p heads and EFI which I would reuse all those parts, just need the short block done again.

I do not want to break the bank on this, otherwise I would consider a coyote. I'd like to spend no more than $2500 or less if possible.

Thoughts? Directions? Suggestion?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I guess I don't understand. If the machine shop did their job right on the first rebuild, there is nothing you could have done during the assembly to build it loose.

I took my 351W roller engine (from a 96 E350) to the machine shop and they bored it .020 over and turned the crank reconditioned the rods, etc. I bought the rebuild kit they wanted to use. They did all the machine work and I assembled it. I used plastigauge to verify all tolerances and they were dead on. Even the rings were within tolerance and no filing was needed.

I didn't fine building the engine that way boring at all. I think I had a woody everyday I walked into my shop. The engine is fully assembled now with just a few small details on vacuum routing and fuel system to go. I can't wait to fire it up.

Tim

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Run what you have and enjoy it. Get another block and build it. 351 is a nice upgrade though not always a direct bolt-in. If you have no body lift, its a tight squeeze in spots. Plus you'll be changing your exhaust and may have some accessory incompatibilities. Which ever way you go, build it for low-end torque.

fishindude

Contributor
X2 on the repair sleeve I used them all the time at the shop i used to work at.

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
Unless you're upgrading the top end also, 302 parts make 302 power, no matter what size mill they are bolted too. I'd refresh the 302. If upgrading heads etc., I too would go with a 351w.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
ANOTHER member of the 351 camp

Attachments

• -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 352-2.jpg
    352-2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 39

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
First, thank you all for talking me out of selling my rig. Now to start tackling my list of upgrades.

The one I need the most help with is what to do with my engine. I built this engine about a year ago which was the first time I'd ever rebuilt an engine myself. While it does run, I think I built it "loose" and my biggest complaint is that the rear main seal leaks. I replaced it twice now and the last time I did, I realized that the crank has a grove in it thus not sealing with the seal. I'd like to replace the crank and have a professional do the work to ensure it is built correctly etc.

With that said, I'm debating between the following options:

1. Take the engine somewhere and let them tell me what to do... BORING!!
2. Buy a short block crate motor
3. Buy a stroker kit and have someone install it.
4. Buy a stroker kit and do it myself (cross fingers I do it right).

The engine is a 5.0 from a 98 explorer which I had it bored .20 over when I built it a few years ago. I have the GT40p heads and EFI which I would reuse all those parts, just need the short block done again.

I do not want to break the bank on this, otherwise I would consider a coyote. I'd like to spend no more than $2500 or less if possible.

Thoughts? Directions? Suggestion?

I'm a bit confused.?:?
This engine was bored and rebuilt a few years ago, then you rebuilt it again about a year ago?
How complete was the last rebuild? A complete rebuild or just rings and bearings?
Did the machinist look at the crank at all, or did you just reuse it?
The reason I'm asking is if you did nothing with the crank, it may be the only issue. Maybe you could get by with some crank machining, a speedy sleeve, and new bearings.
While the 5.0 may have a longer life expectancy than a 302, it still has the same bottom end. The journals get grooved, worn, and out of round just as fast as the old 302. Any rebuild should include at least some crank measuring and a polish job.