• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Evaluating an inherited Bronco

gmanrule

Folks,

I inherited a bronco from my late father and I don't really know what its worth. I've seen ebay but quite a few local people who have seen have expressed too much interest to make me think its just another Bronco.

If you guys could give me an honest assessment of how much it is worth (or if the parts it needs, basically some steel pieces, are available...I'm starting to look at some of the parts guys), that would be great.

In short, it was the yard plow truck for a long time. The motor runs and was "strong." The gas tank was rotted so we would run it out of a gas can. The plow setup didn't work well (I don't remember why), so we stopped using it all together.

The nose is pretty nice (except parts of the fenders) and the cowl seems perfect. However, parts of the floor and where the roof meets the body are well...take a look at the pics.

The pictures are posted here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/memo4george/sets/72157623787935465/

And the vin and other info here:
VIN Ul5gl068279
WB 092
Color T
Type U150
Body RV
trans G
Axle 18J

Thanks,
George

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I'd haul it away for you.

Honestly it's not worth much more than a few of the parts on it that haven't rusted off yet. There's not enough left to save, unless your budget is unlimited and it's a sentimental piece.

Maybe a couple hundred bucks at the most. You might get more out of it selling the trans separate and the axles out of it. Sorry for being honest.

OP
OP
G

gmanrule

Even if the frame is solid?

I guess they don't make many parts for these.

mcdobson

Loc.
Sacramento
Just another rusty old Bronco, but we luv em. Nothing special, it does have some desired options. Power steering, power brakes etc..
Parted out you may make a few bucks, as it sits a few hundred.
They are fun to play with but the body on yours is about shot.
Good luck and my condolences on the way you got it.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Yes you can buy all but a couple square feet of the firewall in replacement parts, but that thing needs almost the whole parts catalog worth. Sorry to say it...

mcdobson

Loc.
Sacramento
Even if the frame is solid?

I guess they don't make many parts for these.

You can actually make one from scratch if you like from all the aftermarket parts that are available for them.

You could rebuild the mechanicals and put a fiberglass body on it.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
What state are you in? Depending on the state it could be worht $500 to $1,000.
And yes there are tons of parts availible for the bronos (you could build one out of a catalog) but there are also thousands of rusted out broncos out there and the one you have is not a rare or limited edition model that is why the low value.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
you might get a few hundred bucks for parts as it had a lot of the desirable options like auto tranny, power steering, power brakes, and the D44 with disk brakes. Other than that I don't see much value.

OP
OP
G

gmanrule

Wow, guys. I'm really surprised/saddened here.

Looking at a catalog, I'd need all the patches as well as doors, and the pieces of metal on the roof that meet the body....ok that's probably a lot of money but still.

Strong running, solid frame, mint hood and tailgate. With what you are telling me I feel like putting in a gas tank and patch the drivers floor and drive it for a work truck.

Well, put a price on it. How many $100's?

grauerfam

Loc.
Owings Mills,MD
Hey George,
The good news is you have a 77 Bronco with the best parts that were available during the 66-77 production of the Classic Bronco.
The bad news is - that body is toast! This is the dilemma most Bronco owners face. Fantastic foundation but horrible rust issues.
I would suggest a fiberglass body if you want to resurrect it ( lots of work) or, if you're not emotionally attached to it, sell it for the great parts it has. Selling it as a whole would be fast and easy. Selling the individual parts would maximize your profit. I would think 1,000.00 would be a reasonable amount you could get for it as it is. Maybe more, maybe less - depends on where you're located.

Ohio Bill

Loc.
Riverside, OH
Wow this poor thing is hurt. I bought one in a little better shape paid $500 for it.

Figure what the motor,trans/transfer and drive axles will bring. The body and frame have had it to far gone to bring life back.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I would say $600 as it sits. If you parted it out maybe $1000-1200. I bought a '72 that had less rust and was roadworthy for $1K a couple years ago.

OP
OP
G

gmanrule

I'm saddened but humbled.

Thanks for your help so far guys.

So, I'll try to sell it as a package (as I have much other work/junk to deal with). Please try to give me an idea of what the most valuable parts are worth for my negotiations (the power steering, brakes, D44, 302,...).

Thanks again guys.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I'd part it out if I was you. It's pretty far gone as far as body wise, and there is some good running gear stuff left, so it seems like a good choice.

But if you was to sell it as a whole, it might bring $700-$800.

BuffDragon

Loc.
CenTex
I've seen ebay but quite a few local people who have seen have expressed too much interest to make me think its just another Bronco.

what kind of interest have they expressed? start finding out how much they'd pay for it and go from there.
unless you want a money pit and gain nothing but personal satisfaction from the (extensive) build required to get that rig right again....

just my opinion. then again, that kind of rust down here in TX would be run away from screaming.....

MattW

I like your idea of doing a couple of things to it and driving it as a work truck/toy. As others have stated, you can get any part needed for these things. Even if it takes a while after it's done you'll have a really nice Bronco with a lot of sentimental value attached to it.