• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Evaluation of these Trick Flow Heads

Miker

Bronco Guru
Guys:
I went to wrenchin' on an '80 Mustang where the guy said he had some SBF Trick Flows that he thought were in pretty good shape but that he had not started the stang in a couple of years, it was his brothers, wanted out of driveway, gonna part it out yadda, yadda, yadda.
I spent about 3 1/2 hours getting these off and while they looked nice up top, as you can see in some of the pics what I found on the underside. The intake valves were slapping the pistons and two broke off and bent the others. I'm not too terribly concerned as the valves can be replaced. But, take a look at the one pic where some of the head is now indented with some of the aluminum bubbled up from it.
Can I just have my machinist work these over? They appear to fine in most all other regards. Let me know what you think they are worth he let em' go for $200 total - and believe me, I talked it up how much my machinist was going to wax me,,,, and he just might :)

Attachments

• 100_3548.JPG
    100_3548.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 100_3549.JPG
    100_3549.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_3550.JPG
    100_3550.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_3551.JPG
    100_3551.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 100_3552.JPG
    100_3552.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 100_3553.JPG
    100_3553.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 70

68ford

Bronco Guru
personally i wouldnt bother. for the money(200+valves+seats+springs+machine work) i would just save some more and buy new.

what model are they?

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
very good question, he could not tell me exactly as he said it was his brothers ride. I got these from the heads SN30955-3 and on the there was also a stamping that said 314A

I could not find where it said trick flow anywhere on the head,,,,hmmmm? But, he did get in the glove box and give me the instruction sheet for the SBF four pages.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Trick Flow likes their heads. They put their name all over them. the combustion chamber looks different than trick flows too. As far as the damage goes. get them checked out. I bet their still good. I have seen much worse being run.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Those are repairable heads. Judging from the looks of the broken valves and the witness marks on the ones not broken, you will need a full set of intake valves. I doubt there is a straight one after what happened to them.

The aluminium work can be fixed. That is the good part of aluminium heads. Fill and cut.

But I don't know what the cost of that machine work and parts will cost. At what point is your break even point? If you can get them repaired for $500 you have $700 into a set of heads. That is cheaper then new. IF they are built like new for $500, then it is probably a good deal. But if $500 only patches them back together, Not the greatest deal.

But I do see aftermarket roller rockers. Those included? If so I would take them. If the heads are going to cost more then new ones then you have a slightly expensive set of roller rockers. Without knowing machine shop costs it is hard to say.

I would take the gamble.

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
I did take the gamble got the whole enchilada for $200. They also came with two thick aluminum flanges. It was the block, a gasket, the thick flange , a gasket followed by the header. Do these look like Trick Flows to you? They are probably a few years older. I'm going to call Trick Flow in the morning and give them the numbers off the heads to see if they can help make any sense out of it. As for my machinist, he's a good friend and charges me next to nothing, he likes it very much when I pay in cash,,,,

bax

Contributor
Old Member
header plates. I thought I saw the hole impressions in the gaskets. They are used to allow bigger tube headers to be used. It's a drag race thing.

eb-nutt1

From the pics, it appears they were o-ring heads for either supercharging/nitrous app. Could possibly be early T-Flow heads, I don't believe the set I bought had any markings on them(One of the 1st sets Summit sold). If your guy fixes them for cheap, appears you got a steal!

Brian

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
My trick flows dont have any markings on them other than P/N. Although mine are also fairly early models I think i got them in 97. I'd say 200 is good for those heads especailly with the rockers. Only minor damage from what I can see most of it can just be smoothed up so theres no hot spots. replace the valves and you should be good to go. Look like standard TFS heads to me not oringed models

hrleydavdsonEB

Loc.
lyman
I ran a set of trick flow heads on my 302 with a long duration cam and they only made it 132 miles then they turned out just like these. I sent them to my machinist and he set me up with a new set of valves and cleaned up everything including the combustion chamber. It all ended up costing me $373.00.

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys, once I have my machine guy work these with over with new intakes, bead blast, smooth out that rough spot, etc. and for how much $$. I'll post up the resulting pics and you can either offer me up a toast with a beer,,, or gig me for going for a bargain that was a waste of money.

On another note, the ARP bolts I got with these looked great. Any worries about me reusing them. It's not like I'm setting up a 450hp screamer.

I really appreciate your posts and I don't take them for granted. ;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The bolts should be ok. I've reused stock head bolts more than once with no issues.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
ARPs are reusable.
Some of the later stock head bolt are torque to yield and are not reusable.

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
On another note, the ARP bolts I got with these looked great. Any worries about me reusing them. It's not like I'm setting up a 450hp screamer.
. ;D

That's a $100+ set of head bolts - good deal.

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Call trick flow and see if there the early castings, they had some major problems with the valve guides on the first ones.

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
I called Trick Flow today, man, the guy I talked to was a ton of help. Based on the part number he said I have a set of twisted wedge 170's with 2.02 intakes and 1.60 exhaust. He said the springs are 110lbs. at the seat and can handle .540 of lift (not too sure what all that meant about the springs)
The earlier post about the cut groove for o-ring gaskets was dead on. He said that I could file down the burr on the on #4 without affecting the ring cut. Or,,,,, he said it is fine to mill the heads up to 12thousandths if I wanted to and gave the different Fel-Pro gasket to use. He told me he felt I got a steal given the heads, their shape, the Comp Cams rockers, and ARP bolts.
My shop guy said that these were going to be a piece of cake. All exhausts spec'd out fine. But, I am going to have to purchase all replacements intakes ($93.00 at Summit) So, I'll throw up before and afters when the intakes get in in a week or so and the heads are put back together.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The valve spring info is good for when you pick a camshaft you need to make sure it matches what the cam needs.
If they are the oring type then I would remove the groove and run the regular gaskets as I believe you also have to have the block oringed as well to use the oring type headgaskets.

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
Broncnaz: thanks for the tip. Certainly not going to spend more $$ on the block. I'll have my machinist mill em' down as little as possible to get that burr out. That should clean them up very well. I'll keep you posted. I appreciate your comments.
Mike

eb-nutt1

Use a graphite based gasket like Ford Motorsport sells and it will seal into the ring cut. you don't have to o-ring the block for the heads to work, it was a either/or option when using the o-rings. Milling the heads will help the comp #'s. Seems like your going to come out of this with a smoking deal!!!!

Brian

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
Okay, here are a few updated pics of before and after. My machine shop guy hot tanked, bead blasted, hot tanked again etc. and milled the heads only 7thousandths and got that burr out nicely. As you can tell from the pic with the circle around it (just learned that computer trick) there is still a slight indentation about enough to get your fingernail in. He placed the fel pro gasket on the head and he said it was clearly inside the lip of the metal ring of the gasket and said it will be fine. I think they cleaned up very nicely. So, here's the hard $$$ cost: $200.00 for the heads with the comp cams 1.6roller rockers, springs etc., ordered 8 new intake valves from Summit $73.00 (had $20 gift credit) shop friend charging me $150.00 for all work and reasemble total: $423.00 and they are damn near like new again! Now, if you add to that the complete ARP bolt set the po threw in (whatever that's worth), I'm pretty much happy enough to just piss my pants:cry: ;D

Attachments

• 100_3550.JPG
    100_3550.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 100_3561.JPG
    100_3561.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_3548.JPG
    100_3548.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_3558.JPG
    100_3558.JPG