• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ever used Seafoam in your Bronco?

WannaBronco19

has anyone ever used that Seafoam stuff in their bronco? i have some and have used it in the gas but never in the carb....i am not real real mechanically inclined, i know a little bit but was unsure about where to dump this stuff in my engine....i wanted to check with the pros before doing something like this....does anyone know where exactly i need to put this stuff....i have mostly edelbrock components, carbs, headers, etc

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Here goes.... I worked at OReilly's and watched the training vids on this stuff and I have used it myself.. (it has been 2+ years so don't quote me exact)

You put a small amount directly in your carb(half a cup), a little in your crankcase breather on top of your valve cover(half a cup with it running), then dump the rest in the gas tank... this stuff was designed and came up for the marine industry, where the mix gas in outboard motors would varnish up.. this stuff will eat it like a champ.. I have seen an old generator that wouldn't hardly run for more than about 2 sec... we dumped some in the tank and tried it a few times, then let it set overnight and was about to pull the carb for a rebuild the next day, but decided to try it... it started right up and idled like a brand new used one.. :).

I put it in all of my vehicles, when my wifes van starts to surge a little at idle, I know it is time for some and I dump a bottle in the tank. Personally I am not a fan of putting something that looks like water in the crank case :), they say it works and cleans it out, but old habbits are hard to break.

Now this concludes the commercial for SeaFoam, we now return you to your regularly scheduled Bronco chat :). I use this stuff now v/s B12 Chem Tool..

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Just keep using it in the gas the gas goes to the carb. I've used it in my BII and Ranger seems to clean injectors real good. Have also used in the crank case but cant really tell you anything there as I havent opened up the engine to see if it actaully cleaned anything out.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Off the KLR650 forums...
Seafoam, snake oil with a strong following.

If you are looking at getting out of a repair or salvage a problem child, try the snake oils. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Generally don't cause problems if they don't work.

bc56845

Loc.
Candler, NC
You've gotta be careful putting it directly in the engine-you can hydro lock it if you use to much and stall the motor out. I worked at a dealership and we used something made by BG thats similar to seafoam. We always attached a small vacuum line to the brake booster hose and sucked it in through that. I did this on my bronco and it worked well except it was only cleaning one bank of cylinders. Apparently the way the intake is set up the port for the booster is only connected to one side. It smokes white real bad when you do it and all of the smoke would only come out of one of my exhaust pipes(true duals) It smokes a lot!

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Yeah I second the smoke - I actually did this today...I poured 1/3 into the tank, 1/3 into the crankcase and 1/3 into the carb while the engine was running - white smoke EVERYWHERE and it did stall me out twice (i poured slooooowly). We'll see how well it does. $6 a can - its worth a shot before I rebuild my carb.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
If the seafoam stinks as bad as the BG stuff does get away from the house or the wife will be mighty PO 'd ...
We use the BG at work (Dodge dealer) I believe our flush is 156.95 .......Sound like the seafoam would be much cheaper...

kntr

Bronco Guru
I had a Mercury Sable that ran like crap and the dealer said I needed new injectors. They quoted me $600 to replace. I put a can of the seafoam in the tank and it smoked and ran like crap for a day and then ran like new. That car had 230,000 miles on it and it still got over 30mpg and ran like a champ after I used the Seafoam. That stuff works.

OP
OP
WannaBronco19

WannaBronco19

thanx for all the input guys, but i am looking to find out where exactly to put this stuff. i have put it in the tank, thats easy, but to put it in the carb, where exactly do i do this, also the crank case, kinda unsure on how to go about putting it in there. this may sound stupid, but is this the same place i put the oil....dont laugh

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
My grandad used to pour ATF into the carb when his car started to run bad. It would smoke like crazy too. Is this stuff kinda like doing the same thing? Never put it in the gas tank or in the crankcase/oilpan. I've never heard of this stuff before but I'm interested in learning more about it.

slider58

Loc.
OKC, OK
I have a jet boat with a 514 c.i. Ford in the back. I was out saying "Watch this" with a semi cold engine one day and sank it. After I pumped all the water out of the engine and fuel tank I was having trouble getting all the remaining water out. I put about a half a cup in the crankcase and two bottles in the 40 gal fuel tank. No more water. It cleaned the milky looking sludge out of the crankcase as well. SeaFoam is good stuff! If you are going to dump it through the engine, just take the aircleaner off and put it slowly directly into the carb while it is running. To put it in the crankcase just put it where you normally put your oil in. I use it regularly in everything.;D

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Yep - take off the cover on the air filter and pour it right into the carb (where the air goes!). Sounds strange, but this is how to do it. As for the crankcase - just like slider said - right where you put the oil - its supposed to free up any sticky lifters and remove any condensation. I did it since my bronco recently came out of years of storage and I wanted to make sure I took the right steps to clean everything out.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I've used it in the fuel tank, and the crankcase of my S-10 and it worked good cleaning the injectors.

never needed it in the Bronco, but I think if I were gonna add it through the carb, I'd get a spray bottle and add it with that. it would take longer, but I think adding a mist to the incoming air would give better distribution.

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
What about us with EFI, should we put it in the tank and/or take the air cleaner off and shoot it in that way with a spray bottle like ugly said? I have never put an additive/injector cleaner in so I am pretty novice with that.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
with EFI, you can add it directly to the engine, but it MUST be behind any incoming air sensors. like through a PCV port at the throttle body.

OP
OP
WannaBronco19

WannaBronco19

i am still trying to figure out where exactly in my carb i need to put this stuff, s you can tell i am really sketched out by it. i dont have any brake booster lines or anything like that it is an oldschool edelbrock carb with the pan style air filter, when i take the filter off, there are four different place where it looks like i could put this stuff, there are two holes next to each other, and then there are two other holes partially covered up by a flap sort of apparatus, it would be somewhat difficult to put it in those holes

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
pour it down the side witht he "flap thing" as you slightly rev the engine to keep it running. i kind alike the spray bottle idea to help keep it from getting overloaded with seafoam too anyone else done this?

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I just poured it slowly as I manually pushed the throttle lever on the carb back just enough to keep it running. WannaBronco19 - you pour it directly over the 'flap thing' and into the carb. Try this, with your engine running and filter off, have someone push down on the accelerator slightly, you'll see the flap thing open and close. This is where you want to pour it. Just remember to let it trickle in there - dont just dump it!

Heus33

Bronco Guru
By the way - it will SMOKE A LOT. White smoke - don't get discouraged, keep pouring slowly. 1/3 of the 16oz can should do it. Once you get 1/3 in there, shut it off and let it sit for 5 minutes...then restart and let it run for awhile, take it for a quick drive 5-10 min and you should be all set. It will stink up everything around you though - you've been warned.

If you have any other questions, PM me and I can talk you through it.