• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Everyday driver?

OP
OP
T

tx_bronco

Loc.
Dallas, TX
Thanks to all!

Looks like I can do it! Cool. I'd much rather put money into this truck which I love and will never get sick of that some heartless, soulless box that they sell today.

Ok, so, now some specifics. Fuel injection seems to be generally well accepted here. I'm thinking about a Mass-flo from Quality Roadsters. They boast that you never need to tune it. Injectors? #30 or #42? Would a different EFI be better for my app? What kind of improvement can I expect in gas mileage?

Sounds like the 5spd tranny is pretty well accepted here, too. Think I'll get that. From whom can I order that bad boy? Any opinions or just google it and go from there? If I swap the tranny is there anything else I need to swap to accomodate that change? Can I expect a decent kick in gas mileage? Will it help prevent overheating (as I hope) when driving on the highway?

Any thoughts on radiators? Now, I usually run pretty hot on the highway (just under 210 and I KNOW that's too hot). I'm hoping a five speed will help with that, but I'd still like to get a new radiator so that I'm confident I won't overheat here in TX. It doesn't get very hot on surface streets.

U guys RAWK. Any help ya'll can provide is GREAT and appreciated!

Running Horse

2badrotties said:
I think we need to start a thread WITH PICS of what we drive if not driving the Bronco. :)
I'll have some pics coming soon as iam doing the bodywork on my bronco and my mom and dads 65 falcon.I even use my 63 wheelHorse tractor before i'll mow with a new one!!!!

Draglink

Loc.
Gloucester, VA
My 76'(351,c4) used to heat up anytime I stopped...at a light, the drive thru, whatever. I installed an aluminum radiator I got from Toms Bronco. Now, 90-95* days with A/C on it tops at 190*. I dont even look at the guage as often. It was well worth the $450.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
TX-

Lots of opinions here on trannys and engines, but one common consensus when it comes to EFI...9/10 here will tell you to go with the 5.0 EFI HO EFI setup from a 89-93 mustang for a mass air fuel injection program...some also run the speed density version which was on 87-89 mustangs. It is far too complicated to get into here, so do some research---go check out www.fordfuelinjection.com . Ryan is a member here and a Bronco-nut and he has posted a wealth of info for the swap on his site, he has articles/write ups that were printed in BroncoDriver on his web site as well; he also sells a quality fuel injection harness.

As far as the tranny...there are lots of opinions. For a DD, I would argue that the NV3550 is the best manual tranny. It has a lower 1st gear than stock and a decent overdrive. A complete kit from one of the vendors will run between $2100-2400 depending on the vendor, + applicable taxes, + shipping, etc. Those come with new trannys. I was able to find a local guy and get the whole package with a rebuilt tranny for $1800. He also ships all over the country and offers a 12 mo/unlimited mileage warranty on his builds. If you want Jim Clarke's contact info, PM me.

Lots of opinions about radiators too. Some say aluminum, some say copper. I dont think you can go wrong if you research your choice first. There have been some threads on this site that discuss some of the poor-performers and problems with certain vendors. BC Broncos and Ron Davis always have good reports on their products. Good luck.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I have a 90 Mustang 5.0 with the EFI, and jusy installed a NV3550,
the 3550 is the best 5 speed for a daily driver, its very nice, I havent run mine on the interstate yet with the NV so I cant comment on the MPG, but in town didnt change, but its a lot more fun driving the 3550 than a T-18.

the cheapest way to go is just get a whole donor car, like a Thunderbird or mustang or crown vic and yank the engine and seats and sell whatever sheetmetal parts are left over, and scrap the rest.

The 88-91 EEC4 is very easy to work on, once you understand how it works
this book explaines it in a very easy to understand manner.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0837603021/102-6675526-0543369?v=glance
the EEC4 is very versatile, once I had my upper intake manifold off, along with the throttle body, and the mass air and throttle position sensor, and one fuel rai, 4 injectors removed, and I hit the key and it CRANKED and ran!

on any other type of system if you unplug just one sensor, say the mass air sensor, the engine will not run at all,

I use the 4 core Wild Horses rad, and have NO cooling issues ever.

Ive had probs with the fuel overheating, but thats due to install errors on my part, ie: using rubber fuel lines instead of steel.
I am planning on adding AC, but mine never goes over 170 on the gauge, unless the water gets more than half empty.

One thing to consider also is a good alarm and a GPS/cell phone tracking system, and an appraisal and check with your ins co about a stated value coverage, cause if you do all this stuff to it, and do a shiny paint job, it will be attractive to thieves, and your ins co wont pay you anything. maybe $800.

Power steering and disc brakes are another thing to have for a daily driver,

if you have the $$$ Id recommend doing all the mods at once, its much easier to swap engines and transmissions at the same time,

PS

Loc.
Sebastopol, CA
I use my Bronco as a dd, even though I just put a ton of money into a full frame-off, I figured it was still cheaper than a new car.

I would suggest you make sure the safety stuff is handled first, ie: modern three-point seatbelts, power disc brakes, seats with headrests, power steering isn't a must, but man-o-man is it nice in parking lots (I went from stock 'Armstrong Steering' to a quick-ratio system from Tom's), make sure all the electrical is safe, and install an easy to reach fire extinguisher.

I've got a custom 302 (275 rear wheel h.p.) and installed an NV3550 about a year ago. Recently I drove from Northern California to Southern California for Fab Fords and got 16 mpg for the round trip. Needless to say, I was pretty happy with that number and with a 24 gallon main tank and a 12 gallon auxilery, I didn't have to fill up very many times.

Another really nice to have item is a good quality leather-wrapped steering wheel. It doesn't add horsepower, increase your fuel economy, reduce rattles, or make the paint any shinier, but it's where you interact with the truck the most, it may as well be nice to touch.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
My 68 is near stock except for a 302 4 barrel motor & duals. Its my anti-technology vehicle. My only complaint is the half cab rides too rough with my bad back. Ive got 2 spares in it and a bag of sand which doesnt leave a lot of bed left. Its not as quiet and sophisticated as a new one but its also paid for and trouble free.