• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Excessive Steering Wheel Play

BroncoTX

My rig has more play in the steering wheel than I would like. Its a constant struggle to keep the sucker straight...especially at higher speeds. Is this a sign of a steering box that needs to be rebuilt or am I looking at linkage mods? Any suggestions?

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
Welcome to the board. You've come to the right place. There are a lot of smart folk here that are willing to help you out. I've learned a lot from them myself. My two cents on a check list:

1) Steering UJoint/Rag joint on column
2) Tie Rod Ends / Drag Link End
3) Front Axle (C) / Radius arm / Track Bar Bushings
4) Cracked Frame at Steering Box / Track Bar mount
5) Ball Joints / Wheel bearings
6) Steering Box
7) Loose tires / wheels

Have a friend get in the truck and move the wheel back and forth while you climb under the front end / underhood to watch for play in the system. Especially for cracks arount the steering box and track bar mounts, which are common in Broncos. Could be something as simple as a worn rag joint on the steering rod, or it could be a combination of all the things I've listed. Also the 'feeling' of steering wheel play could just be poor Caster angle at the front wheels. That is generally described as a 'wandering' feeling in the Bronco, and not necessarily what you call 'play' in the wheel though.

Good luck!

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Hello and Welcome. :cool:

I just worked on this some yesterday, it could be either. Get someone to sit in it and turn the wheel back and forth where it's loose, while you go look at the linkages for play, it could be the box as well. In my case I found the play to be in the box, the steering shaft would turn all the way to the box, but nothing past the box moved.

Now what to do about that I'm still figuring out.

Good luck. :)

EDIT: Jeff clicks faster...;D

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BroncoTX

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I've learned a lot in the short few days since I've become a member. Looking forward to learning a lot more.

triracer67

Contributor
Steering box adjustment

There's a regular screw/nut adjustment on top of the box, loosen the nut and adjust the screw (either directon) while someone moves the steering wheel. This adjusts the worm gears in the box. Also check to see if there is any play in the Pitman arm. I recently had to replace the my manual box because of excessive play. I picked it up cheap off a member of this site.

Best of luck.

rob

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Welcome to the obsession!

One other thing I learned the hard way. Check your frame where the steering box attaches. Mine was rusted through and every time I turned, the side of the frame would bow in or out, making the steering rather loose.

Good Luck!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If you adjust the sector shaft screw just be very careful as it really only jams the sector shaft into the piston. make sure the steering moves freely both ways lock to lock. If it doesnt you could run into bigger issues while driving and could damage the box.

piack

Loc.
Sanford, Maine
X 2 on the check list above. Mine was bad for while until another Bronco friend (Thanks Todd) got under and we found 3 loose items. The combination was making it act like yours. I was white knuckling it on the highway and on bumpy roads it was line to line. Could not keep it straight long enough to change the radio station. Not bumpsteer, just loose stuff.

My problems were drag link, u-joint just above the steering box and the drop bracket that holds the track arm had oval'd out (bolt and bushing were fine).

Much better now.

Good luck and don't overlook the simple stuff.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What year is your Bronco TX? Power or manual steering?
Do the test that was described above, but make sure that the tires are on the ground and the full weight of the front on them, You don't do this test up on jackstands, as it won't give the same results.
You can test some things up off the ground, but for things like trackbar mounts, frame cracks and others, you want all the torque of the steering system pushing against the weight of the vehicle.

One other thing that can cause a lot of wandering (besides a loose or worn trackbar) is worn out tires. Jeff mentioned loose tires and wheels, but worn out off-road tires can surely make for a miserable drive down the road.
Even incorrect air pressure can add to the mix, but wear is a common issue.

I'm betting you've got a little bit of "all of the above" messing with you.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
B

BroncoTX

Thanks for the input and advice. This forum is a lifesaver when it comes to doing it the right way.

OP
OP
B

BroncoTX

DirtDonk. Its a 74 with power steering. I don't officially own it yet but I have driven it, and if I pull the trigger on it I intend on repairing the steering right away. Also looking at a '73 with manual steering.