• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

exhaust deflector question : )

73EXP

Loc.
Richmond, Virginia (Home of Duke's Mayonaise)
OK- so now I am researching dynaflow vs. dynamax vs. magnaflow to cut the NOISE... my next question is:

exhaust pipe ends, I have looked at turn-downs, to try and stop the (dual) exhaust from coming right back into the back of the truck when the top is off, but what about those deflectors?? anyone have those? the ends are made as though they left a crossways diamond of metal on top of the end of the pipe, and then bent the corners down to send the fumes out, and away from the vehicle.. is this a satisfactory solution to the problem of exhaust that normal would return with the air rushing under the truck that sends the fumes back into the rear cargo area?

thanks again-
A

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p The turndowns would be best but dont work all that good becuse of the drag factor from a box moveing down the road and it will suck up the exhaust and it will come in to the bronco. If you look at the vans and trucks with a shell on them they all do it a lot of them have inst. not to drive with back open. Out the side with turndowns is about the beast you can do good luck. ::) ::) ::) Bill 8) ::) :p

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
It didn't work for me. I have deflectors on my 74' at the rear bumper where the pipes come straight out. I still get exhaust back in the cab. On the 76' , I had short deflectors under the body, but they were cooking the rear axle. I finally went out to the side, behind the rear tires with good success.

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Bill has a good point... look at the trucks that DONT have a rear hatch to open and you will see pipes sticking out the back (straight more or less)... then look at the ones that DO have a hatch or window that comes down... Big Broncos, Blazers etc.. and you will see most have the exhaust exiting out behind or in front of the rear tires... with how close the rears are to my seat, I would suggest exiting behind them... the drag effect will pull wind/air/exhaust/food wrappers/ etc from the BACK of the truck up and back into it... drive around in a pickup with the tailgat up and throw some popcorn in the bed and you will see this.

So what you want to do is have as little exhaust as possible behind your truck... thus the ever-recommmended side exit with or without down turn

:)
HTH,
Matt