• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Exhaust manifold help

FIGO

Loc.
St. louis Mo.
Hi All, I am having a problem with the drivers side exhaust manifold. I have a 97 5.0 and explorer headers. The drivers side does not fit, it hits the clutch linkage where the tube comes over the frame. I had it "modified" to dump out farther back, now it hits the bracket bolted to the bell housing which supports the other end of the clutch linkage. Is ther a direct bolt up manifold that will fit. Or what do I need to do to solve this clearance problem. 5.0 , threespeed on the tree so the shift linkage could be an issue also.
TIA
Frank

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If I could see it, that would help. I am assuming that you are using the stock Explorer exhaust to clear the plugs on the "P" heads. Is it an early or a late '97. Early '97 uses the standard GT heads, late uses the "P" heads. you can tell the difference with EGR. Externial EGR is the "P" heads, the non-"P" heads have EGR internial to the manifold.

Any way to post a pick?

OP
OP
F

FIGO

Loc.
St. louis Mo.
They are p heads and I have already modified the manifold outlet
to clear the linkage, it looks like a lot of work to bend, shape, weld
this one to fit. I was wondering if anyone had used another model that will bolt up and clear everything. I will try to post pic tomorrow.
Frank

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I don't know of anyone who has the perfect header for the "P" head. Several will fit, many burn plg wires. Most require removal (or at least unbolting) in order to get at least one of the plugs in and out.

Hellonweelz

Loc.
Colorado Springs, CO
I went through something similar with my setup. I rebuilt the 302 with GT40P iron heads. At the time, I was not able to find any company that mass produced a header that would clear the "passenger" frame rail. The collectors all dumped right onto the frame and you can't get a pipe to it. Some people had cut the pipes and re-welded pipes to clear but I thought it looked really bad.

I didn't have any issues with the drivers side but I ended up using 90's explorer exhaust manifolds. I had a muffler shop bend me up some pipes from a wire template I made. It only cost me $40 bucks for both sides and they work pretty good. I can snap a picture of my drivers side manifold so you can take a look at it. I have an auto trans, so clearance with the linkages for the column shift might be similar to yours. If you run into clearance issues with the column shift, you can always install a floor shifter.