• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

exhaust time

broncnut

getting ready to have the exhaust done. what are people running, whats the hot set up? Looking to run a single. Motor is pretty much stock with EFI and long tube headers. Are you running in front or behind the rear wheel? Pics would be great.;D
Thanks,

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
long tube hookers into 2 1/2" with x pipe into a single spintech - single 3" out the back. Nice rumble, but not obnoxious - only gripe is the tail pipe ocassionally rattles off the skid plate.

6daze

Ed Hansen in Spring Valley does very nice work, pricey though....I paid 6 bills for 2 1/2 back from my JBA shorties. That included a magnaflow. It sounds great on a stock 302 with EFI.

Attachments

• muffler.JPG
    muffler.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 88

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I run dual 2.25" into single 2.5" with a two chamber flowmaster, dumping right behind the axle (for now) using stock exhaust manifolds (also for now). I am very happy with the way my exhaust sounds and performs - the engine runs really smooth and the sound is low and mellow until you get on the throttle. Torque is good with this setup too.

I went with stock manifolds as I run a 351 and the engine bay is already full enough without adding headers.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I have pretty much the same set up as you. stock 71 302 with 87 EFI. I altered aftermarket mustang headers i bought on ebay for $15. The head pipe
has to make a u turn around the clutch fork in order to hold it up in the space between the bell housing and NP435. Head pipes are 2-1/4, tail pipe is 2-1/2. You do not need anything bigger than that. Its just a waste of money to go any larger, it will probable even hurt the 302 to go larger, at least in th elow end. The muffler in a dynomax super trubo or something like that. 2-1/2 in and out but with a 3" core.

It has a nice rumble at idle but never gets really loud.

The super single just opens up a lot of room underneath.

Last edited:
OP
OP
broncnut

broncnut

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming. Hope to get it into the shop this weekend or next. :eek:

Jonboy69

Sounds like most of you guys are running a single muffler. Is that to increase low end ? My 69 that I just purchased has stock manifolds running into seperate duals running into like old school glass pacs/smittys & exiting straight out the back. My old 73 had stock manifolds that came together & then it went into a single flowmaster with a dual exit. I am wondering if my straight true dual exhaust is sacrificing low end ? It sounds ok too but nothing to write home about.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Jonboy69 - even with a true dual system its best to have an X pipe so that the two sides touch. The reason is the scavenging effect - it equalizes pressure between the sides and helps your engine run more smoothly. I personally like the sound of "super single" setups better than true dual, but dual with an X pipe sounds good too.

This being said, the main reason I went with 2-into-1 was for space concerns... there just isn't much space under an EB and by going to single, you at least open up a little space.

I would consider going as large as dual 2.5 into single 3" but certainly no larger unless you've got a screaming engine feeding that. A little backpressure is good but most important is the scavenging effect. A good exhaust shop should be able to help you figure out what the best setup is for your application.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
getting ready to have the exhaust done. what are people running, whats the hot set up? Looking to run a single. Motor is pretty much stock with EFI and long tube headers. Are you running in front or behind the rear wheel? Pics would be great.;D
Thanks,

I am running efi w/WH shorty headers. I ran 2 1/4 into a 2 1/2 dual in/3in out magnaflow y pipe. Then into a 3in maganaflow muffler and a 3in tail pipe straight out the back. I made everything from mandrel bent J bends- took some time but it was worth it. Not much room in the rear with the 4 link so I had to get creative. There are some pics in my gallery. Originally had a single flowmaster dual in single out- it was to loud and raspy. It sounds great now.

Jonboy69

I have also heard that running into a single muffler increases the low end response which is what most of us want on our trucks.

socalbrandon

I went to Ed Hansen's in Spring Valley too, they do good work but there a little pricey. I had 3" 2 into 1 with a coffin muffler put on

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I have had true duals on two broncos one has headers one has stock mainfolds. They both seem to run good and sound great. I dont think you get as good a sound with a two into one exhaust but that is just my opinion. I know an xpipe is a good thing on a dual exhaust system to help with scavenging. One advantage of the two into one is the savings on materials and labor one muffler, one tail pipe, and a bunch less hardware. I think my next bronco exhaust may have a two into one just to save a few bucks!

texaswildcat98

Loc.
Wichita, KS
I've been looking at Chucks 2 into 1, but couldn't swing the bucks for the headers. Sent an email and he said he will have a Stock manifold version soon...

So I'm patiently waiting! :cool: