• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Exploder water pump to stock Mustang set up- attempting any way.

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Has anyone done an exploder water pump to 302 transplant, and been able to maintain stock accessories or can it even be done? Is it a different timing cover that allows these? I was wondering if there is some way of just using the Exploder h2o pump with serp, but keep all the mustang serp system and accessories? Comparing them at the store they look way different in design and hole placement. I am trying to again the extra space for an electric fan, still working on shortening the stock 5.0 pump, but am hitting snags. Thanks...Mo yes I am trying to reinvent the wheel!!!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Can't be done. Timing cover is shorter, as is pump. Electric fans will barely fit with the explorer serp.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Viper the timing cover is shorter, but is that what allows for the different bolt pattern? Basically I need to know if the exp pump using the exp timing cover will fit onto the 5.0 off the Mustang. I actually need the overall short dimension, as I was going to have a billet pulley made up so everything lines up. I assume it can be done as people use the exp dressage on EB 302 blocks all the time. Excuse my lack of knowledge here, is my ?'s sound redundant. Thx...Mo

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The explorer timing cover will bolt on to the mustang 5.0. It's the spacing that is going to screw everything else up. If you have to make a waterpump pulley with a large offset to match the other accessories it will eat fan spacing just like the mustang timing cover and waterpump.

mattt

Bronco Guru
One other thing that might help if you want electric fan on an Explorer serp setup is to run a 94-95 Mustang 5.0 water pump. I believe it is the same bolt pattern as the Explorer water pump but it does not have the threaded snout on the tip of the water pump, so I'd assume it would be a tad shorter. That year Mustang had an electric fan so I'd assume Ford shortened the stub out of the pump.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The '95 mustang is still longer then the Explorer. Years ago while doing some swap research I found people using the '95 mustang setup but needed the drivers side accessory bracket from an Explorer for packaging. They found they could build a ¾" spacer behind the Explorer bracket to bring it out to the '95 mustang drive depth. Later they figured it was just easier to use the whole Explorer accessory drive instead of doing a mix and match.

mattt

Bronco Guru
The '95 mustang is still longer then the Explorer. Years ago while doing some swap research I found people using the '95 mustang setup but needed the drivers side accessory bracket from an Explorer for packaging. They found they could build a ¾" spacer behind the Explorer bracket to bring it out to the '95 mustang drive depth. Later they figured it was just easier to use the whole Explorer accessory drive instead of doing a mix and match.

I don't know if I explained what I mean clearly. What I was saying was to run the Mustang water pump only, on the Explorer timing cover. Is the total depth of the Mustang pump longer or shorter than the Explorer water pump? My thinking was that since the Mustang water pump doesn't have the threaded nipple boss on the tip of the water pump, that it 'may' be shorter than the Explorer water pump.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I don't know if I explained what I mean clearly. What I was saying was to run the Mustang water pump only, on the Explorer timing cover. Is the total depth of the Mustang pump longer or shorter than the Explorer water pump? My thinking was that since the Mustang water pump doesn't have the threaded nipple boss on the tip of the water pump, that it 'may' be shorter than the Explorer water pump.

It's easy to cut the threaded portion off the explorer pump. The '94-'95 mustang pump has a different pulley flange and it may be spaced differently too.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Ah ha....didn't think of that one. Also didn't know the pulley flange is different. Good info guys....thanks.

Broncobowsher

Total hack

I just happen to have a complete '95 mustang engine in the garage, and 2 explorer water pumps. Mustang pump is just under 5" deep, Explorer is just under 4½" deep. explorer wins the shortest waterpump contest.

Mustang has a nipple on it as well, pulley centering nipple.

Here is a fun one, a Dodge Cummins computer controlled fan clutch from roughly '03 (friend's truck) has the EXACT correct thread to attach to the Explorer water pump. If you wanted to get fancy with it you could run a computer controlled fan clutch. Still searching all the control logic stuff that would be needed to make it work, not a simple on/off switch.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I love this place....the bestest, quickest, and accurate-est est est info for Bronco owners. Thanks B! Let us know if you get that computer controlled fan clutch figured out ;)

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Good info. Now again, cause I am sttttupid, the timing cover is what allows the differently spaced mounting holed explorer water pump onto a stock 302 block. The pulley would actually be neutral or centered and would then line up with all the mustang accessories. If the stock 5.0 water pump shaft was shortened as in the pictures, .5" by the fan drive seing moved towards the pump(Turn down and the centric snout removed .75" and an additional .5" whacked off( accounted for by moving the drive in) essentially creating an 1" shorter pump. Then I would just need a pulley made shallower so things line up. This is all on the mustang pump. Capiche Bambinos? Now is the 94-95 stang pump already 1" shorter? If it mounts straight onto the block then all I need is a billet pulley to line things up. My main reasons are I do not want the Exploder dressage, I want my mish mash of other ford serp parts, but I want the h2o total depth to be 1" shorter. Pictures are hopefully helpful in somewhat explaining what I want to do. The mock motor is my 351w/396 since my 302 is still in the 74. Only difference is I have to make 2 spacers on the drivers side to connect the lower 2 bolt as it is a wider block. I like that no dressage is dependent too much on the h2o pump to anchor securely. Plus no issues of hitting the frame or being too close to it. So has anyone found a pulley that is shallower with the same mounting hols and diameter? Thx guys for your patience....Mo

Attachments

• .temp-1.jpg
    .temp-1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 26
  • .temp-5.jpg
    .temp-5.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 23
  • .temp-3a.jpg
    .temp-3a.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 21
  • .temp-3.jpg
    .temp-3.jpg