• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 4.0L fan and radiator

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Hey guys,

Was curious if the front dress is the same on the 4.0 as the 5.0? Can I use the fan and radiator from one?

Thanks,

Dave

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
DebosDave'72 said:
Hey guys,

Was curious if the front dress is the same on the 4.0 as the 5.0? Can I use the fan and radiator from one?

Thanks,

Dave

Think I researched this back when I was looking for less expen$ive alternative to Explorer 5.0 clutch fan when I was doing my swap. Memory tells me Hollander Interchange Manual said the fans were different.

Todd Z.

67ster

Bronco Guru
The 4.0 fan and clutch are marginal at best , I owned one and the plastic POS fan cracked after one year of driving .

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK, here is the scoop...
I just did a 5.0 swap into a Ranger that had a 4.0
This put both parts in hand.
The 5.0 is 11 blade, the 4.0 is 10 blade.
The entire assambly is interchangable. Same mounting depth, same diameter, same threads to waterpump.
The clutch to fan bolt pattern is different, so the 4.0 fan will not work with the 5.0 clutch.

I kept the 4.0 fan and plan to use it with a 4.0 clutch on my 5.8 Bronco once I get around to swapping the front dress.

As for the rest of the 4.0 front dress. Don't even bother unbolting it. Nothing carries over.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Broncobowsher said:
OK, here is the scoop...
I just did a 5.0 swap into a Ranger that had a 4.0
This put both parts in hand.
The 5.0 is 11 blade, the 4.0 is 10 blade.
The entire assambly is interchangable. Same mounting depth, same diameter, same threads to waterpump.
The clutch to fan bolt pattern is different, so the 4.0 fan will not work with the 5.0 clutch.

I kept the 4.0 fan and plan to use it with a 4.0 clutch on my 5.8 Bronco once I get around to swapping the front dress.

As for the rest of the 4.0 front dress. Don't even bother unbolting it. Nothing carries over.

Tim:

You going to Explorer front dress on your EB engine? Got the pieces already in hand? I found an Exploder in the pick-a-part yard today with a complete engine in it - first one I've ever seen. I'm going back in the morning to pull as many pieces off the front end as I can...

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
73stallion said:
how much would everything cost todd?

Don't know yet - will have to see how much the yard rapes me for it when I pull everything...

Todd Z.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have everything except a good A/c compressor and harmonic balancer. Other then that I have all my parts sitting in a storage container waiting for new house to be built. Then I will have new garage and a place to put the parts on.