• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 5.0 EFI w/roller rockers what valve covers?

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is anyone running rollers with efi, not sure what valve covers will work, have not tried the stock but pretty sure they are too short. if they are too short is anybody running spacers. I don't remember how much clearance I had on the valve covers to the intake. I saw the tall ford motorsports were not for efi.

SavageBurro

I'm running stock bronco valve covers on 98 explorer 5.0. They fit great. I'm using stock bronco covers because I'm running carb for now amd I needed the breather holes.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm running stock bronco valve covers on 98 explorer 5.0. They fit great. I'm using stock bronco covers because I'm running carb for now amd I needed the breather holes.

with roller rockers. motor is at machine shop so I cant test fit mine and the intakes are at powder coat

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
The mustang covers will work that are made for efi. Also the ford racing alum covers work as well. They are both slightly taller and just clear the explorer upper intake. Bought my ford racing valve covers off eBay from a mustang guy, mustang stock valve covers tend to be cheaper just plain looking

Ones I used http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/262205825886

Other one that should work http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/351653452131

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Any of the tall covers will work if you use a 3/4" intake spacer. I have '96 Explorer EFI upper and lower intake with a commonly available spacer and the covers below. The only concern is hood space, mine fit with a ton of room, but I have a 2" body lift.

Summit Proform Valve Covers

PRO-302-135_xl.jpg

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Any of the tall covers will work if you use a 3/4" intake spacer. I have '96 Explorer EFI upper and lower intake with a commonly available spacer and the covers below. The only concern is hood space, mine fit with a ton of room, but I have a 2" body lift.

Summit Proform Valve Covers

PRO-302-135_xl.jpg

Those are nice looking covers. They on your driver or your crawler? I am looking at the blue ones for mine. With the new heads I went to I had to go roller rocker because they are set up for stud mount... so much for keeping the budget. LOL

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Those are nice looking covers. They on your driver or your crawler? I am looking at the blue ones for mine. With the new heads I went to I had to go roller rocker because they are set up for stud mount... so much for keeping the budget. LOL

Isn't putting budget and Bronco in the same sentence like saying wet desert? :p

firewalker73

Isn't putting budget and Bronco in the same sentence like saying wet desert? :p

Lol! I started to install front disc brakes on mine. Now I have chromo shafts and new carrier bearings. What budget. 43 year old bronco with unknown history. Going to cost money.

Those valve covers look really good.

76Bronco302

Loc.
Sherman, Tx
The valve covers posted in the picture above are the ones I used. Remove the 2 ports on the underside of the upper intake and they will clear perfectly.

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
1993 Mustang Cobras used aluminum 1.7 ratio roller rockers and the valve covers were stamped steel car ones, not the Mustang GT 5.0 ones. Pretty much the same covers were used on 1991-93 Thunderbird and 1994-95 Mustang GT 5.0's. So these might have enough clearance. What cylinder heads, rockers and cam are you running?

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA

Those are on my '75 driver. I have the ones below on my crawler also with 1.7 roller rockers, but a Holley TBI EFI unit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 46

SavageBurro

Yes the stock covers fit and have adequate clearance for roller rockers. At least they do on mine with stock rocker assembly. They're not as perty as others but do fit.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1993 Mustang Cobras used aluminum 1.7 ratio roller rockers and the valve covers were stamped steel car ones, not the Mustang GT 5.0 ones. Pretty much the same covers were used on 1991-93 Thunderbird and 1994-95 Mustang GT 5.0's. So these might have enough clearance. What cylinder heads, rockers and cam are you running?

I have 5.0 mountaineer heads with stamped 1.6 comp rollers with a mild cam by comp. I have a set of the bronco logo valve covers, I think I can put some thick gaskets and they will clear based on what I am reading. may also need a spacer for the intake.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If a spacer for the intake will fit under the hood it is not a bad idea at all to use one.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I used the stock valve covers but had to cut the baffles out. With EFI that is not a big deal because the PCV works the opposite direction (air goes IN the valve cover not out). With a carb you would be sucking a whole lot of oil out of the valve cover. Tall valve covers will hit the bottom of an EFI housing FYI if you go that way. Also they can get close to where the wires and throttle cable come out of the firewall.

Amac70

ME
I run trickflow covers with no spacer on intake. running gt 40 tube upper don't know how much different then explorer intake.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA

Got these on my '70. Had to go tall with the 1.6 roller rockers.
good fit and no leaks. Using the re-usable valve cover gaskets.

Attachments

• engine 2.jpg
    engine 2.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 63