• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 5.0/GT-40, Plugging EGR Questions?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
What are you guys/gals doing to plug the EGR hole in your GT-40 intake manifolds? I tried to use a freeze plug but the hole is a hair too big, I also have a threaded plug that would fit, but I can't seem to find a big enough tap thats NPT. I want it plugged so I can simply bolt the throttle body to the intake manifold, can this be done? What have you guys done? Thanks. Casey

spatacuulous

Loc.
philadelphia
Casey, When I eliminated my EGR, the only hole I had to plug was on the passenger side Exhaust manifold, not the intake manifold. I have a 1998 Explorer 5.0 motor in there. I just used the original nut that was in there and welded it closed. I have pics if you need em.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I have a 96' Explorer setup with the internal EGR. Theres a rectangular hole in the head and bottom of the lower intake manifold that turns into approximately 19mm ish round hole where the upper and lower intake manifolds meet. If I could find a tap, I'll tap the upper and lower intakes and plug them both. Otherwise I suppose I'll just have to run the elbow with the EGR valve.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Some intake gasket sets(felpro p/n 1250) include a block off for the heat riser from the head to the manifold. You might be able to use something like that. Although I'm not sure if the 1250s will fit a explorer motor

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I looked at the pic's of that gasket and I don't think they'll work. Here's a pic to help clarify what I'm asking. Does anyone happen to know where I can find a 3/4" NPT tap?

Attachments

• PICT6287.JPG
    PICT6287.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 37

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Right but if they will work at the manifold to head location you dont have to block off the port up there. Worst case you could make a tap take bolt or plug the same size you intend to use and cut 4 verticle slots in the sides you have just made a cheap tap should work real good on aluminum.

FFMDX

Loc.
Roseville, CA
I took mine into a machine shop and had them drill, tap, plug and clean for about $30. I also covered the EGR holes in the heads as well as using a GT40 Phenolic spacer w/out the hole.

Sean

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK the '96 is basicly the same as the '86-'93 mustang just with a 90° EGR spacer instead of a straight one. Couldn't you just use one of the off the shelf EGR eliminator plates that covers the EGR holes?

Personally I would bolt on a mustang EGR spacer and hook the EGR up. There is the potential for ½ MPG or so improvment with it working.