• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

explorer 5.0 oil pan, can i use it?

jurob

Loc.
Virginia Beach, Va
i got a lower mile gt40 longblock from a 97 explorer for my 75. i've changed the hg's, springs, seals, etc.... topend is buttoned up with a 85gt topend that we are currently converting to fuel injection. won't be going fi till sometime next year when i come into some more money.

looking at the explorer oil pan, doesn't seem like it will be any problem with my 3 1/2" suspension (acuaully looks like it would be fine with no lift). has anybody used one? i would like to have the motor as ready as it can be to drop in as possible.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
i got a lower mile gt40 longblock from a 97 explorer for my 75. i've changed the hg's, springs, seals, etc.... topend is buttoned up with a 85gt topend that we are currently converting to fuel injection. won't be going fi till sometime next year when i come into some more money.

looking at the explorer oil pan, doesn't seem like it will be any problem with my 3 1/2" suspension (acuaully looks like it would be fine with no lift). has anybody used one? i would like to have the motor as ready as it can be to drop in as possible.

Excellent choice - use it! (assuming it's one of the steel Explorer pans, not the cast aluminum ones. Not so crazy about those.).

Todd Z.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Excellent choice - use it! (assuming it's one of the steel Explorer pans, not the cast aluminum ones. Not so crazy about those.).

Todd Z.

I have steel Explorer oil pans in my 75 with 2.5" of lift and in my 77 with stock suspension. No problems here, go for it! ;D

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I believe the concern is that aluminum won't just bash in if you smash it on the axle housing or rock. The aluminum pan will most likely shatter or crack in several places with the above scenario. I personally don't plan to drive mine that hard, and if I do it's a lesson I will learn not to repeat...

The Epxloder aluminum pan looks pretty stout to me and has the cuttout in the pan in the right places, and it should dissapate heat better than steel.