• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 5.0 Temp.

js521

Quick question for the explorer 5.0 crowd. took the Bronco for about a twenty mile shake down drive yesterday. Engine temp. at 50-55mph fluctuated between 195-200deg. Then 180-185 in town. Air temp. was about 60 or a little over. It still has stock thermostat which is 195deg. Just curious if this sounds normal, and or what are you guys getting. Was thinking about changing thermostat to 180deg. Appreciate any input.:)

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you are running the Explorer EFI setup or Mustang you need to leave the t-stat at 195, that is what the PCM is calibrated for, nothing wrong with what you have.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
EFI is happy as can be at 200 all day long.
No reason to change anything based on what you presented.

OP
OP
J

js521

Thanks for the input. I am running the explorer 5.0 controlled by all mustang gear. I am used to an old 70's 302 with a two barrel. Running at 195-200 down the road is a lot different from what I have been used to. I run a large high quality aluminum radiator, no inner fenders etc. It has a lot of cooling capacity. I guess I will replace thermostat with stock, so it is new. thanks