• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Cast Aluminum Pan and Pickup

fishinman78

Contributor
I have done some searching and reading about the Explorer oil pans

I have a 1997 Explorer engine that has the cast aluminum pan that is in nice shape.

I'm considering changing over to the steel pan for the strength. The question that I haven't found and answer to is will the pick up for the cast pan work with the steel pan or do I have to replace the pickup as well if I go with the steel pan.

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
If I remember correctly it needs to be changed. The pickup on the aluminum pan is different than one from a steel pan, at least from what I've seen.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You always, never say always, but always need to use the pickup for the pan you use. No, it won't work, it may work, but not correctly.

How do you know? Take a chunk of modeling clay, lay it under the pickup screen and bolt in the oil pan with a few botls. Then unbolt and see how much space you have. 1/4 inch is what I've seen.

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
Another question, why would oil pan strength be a factor? Is something hitting it? The aluminum pan is a lot thicker than the steel, and the gasket flange area is stiffer for better sealing and less chance of over tightening of the gasket.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Another question, why would oil pan strength be a factor? Is something hitting it? The aluminum pan is a lot thicker than the steel, and the gasket flange area is stiffer for better sealing and less chance of over tightening of the gasket.

If you smack a sheet steel oil pan with a rock you get a dent in it.

If you smack a cast aluminum oil pan with a rock sometimes a chunk of it falls out.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
If you smack a sheet steel oil pan with a rock you get a dent in it.

If you smack a cast aluminum oil pan with a rock sometimes a chunk of it falls out.

I’ve been running the aluminum pan since 13’. I haven’t hit it yet. Trans pan is aluminum also. The front axle seems to do a good job at protecting the oil pan.

Mark

Attachments

• 06E7306D-4608-4931-96D5-67F38449FEE2.jpeg
    06E7306D-4608-4931-96D5-67F38449FEE2.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
fishinman78

fishinman78

Contributor
I’ve been running the aluminum pan since 13’. I haven’t hit it yet. Trans pan is aluminum also. The front axle seems to do a good job at protecting the oil pan.

Mark

I think I will just run the aluminum pan. My rig is going be a LUBR and I can't forsee any situation where a rock will come through the pan.

Plus I wont have to spend any additional money!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I just replaced the pan on mine, hit it in a lead footed off-road dust show ant bent the track bar bracket enough for the front end to hit it and crack it.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just replaced the pan on mine, hit it in a lead footed off-road dust show ant bent the track bar bracket enough for the front end to hit it and crack it.

well don't do that! ;D