• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Crank Pulley. Found something to work!,,

KBUCK1

A while back I posted a thread asking about a crank pulley that would work with the explorer serpentine set up. My engine builder had bought a balanced assembly and was adamant we not use the explorer balancer After rebalancing it to 28 ounce but the one already balanced to the crank. I have a 4 bolt 28 ounce balancer and this is the pulley I found to work. I meant to post a while back about this but forgot

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/asp-523500/overview/make/ford/model/mustang

It's for a mustang. What I did was flip it around backwards and it sat further in. It was a long shot to try it and the engine builder thought he would have to do some shimming but to our surprise it was perfect. Just thought this might be usefull info for someone in the future.

JLBachs

Thanks for sharing - will be needing one soon. It's good to see someone stick their neck out and have some success!

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a 0 balance 408 stroker engine hope this will work for me also Thanks Keith

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
I knew there was a reason I picked up one of those pulleys for $10 at a swap meet!
Exactly what balancer do you have?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Note that it's a 25% underdrive. Great for high winding engines, not so great for cooling systems and power steering pumps while at idle. Just something to keep in mind.

OP
OP
KBUCK1

KBUCK1

Note that it's a 25% underdrive. Great for high winding engines, not so great for cooling systems and power steering pumps while at idle. Just something to keep in mind.

He's right it is an underdrive pulley. But, the fact that this one fits means a pulley from a mustang of the same year model would also fit. My Bronco will be street driven only with a 400 horse 331

OP
OP
KBUCK1

KBUCK1

I knew there was a reason I picked up one of those pulleys for $10 at a swap meet!
Exactly what balancer do you have?

Its an Eagle rotaing assembly. 4 bolt 28 ounce is really all I know

OP
OP
KBUCK1

KBUCK1

Someone asked for photos bolted up through pm

Attachments

• DSC05567.jpg
    DSC05567.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0343.JPG
    IMG_0343.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 84

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks great. Glad it worked out for you. Even just trying it backwards was pretty clever I would say.

Don't know if you noticed this one, but for anyone running a 3-bolt stock damper, we have a pulley for matching the Explorer stuff up to it.
Looks similar to yours, but I wonder if they've got the same depth and all?

Is yours already up and running? Or is it still getting set up right now?

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 3-bolt damper does have it easy with the custom pulley already on the market that works with the Explorer stuff. Never heard of anything for the 4-bolt so far. Closest I remember was someone did something with flipping the stock steel pulley, but I don't remember the details.

I do have a few concerns/comments with that Trickflow pulley. Is it bottomed out against the face of the damper? It looks like it is real close or with the chamfer on the corner maybe even touching. If that is the case, is the pulley face (at the mounting bolts) solidly contacting the matching face on the damper? If it isn't you can expect that pulley to magically come off the front of the damper several thousands of miles from now when the bolt let loose of it. If you can slip a piece of paper between the pulley ribs and the damper you are good. You just don't want the bolts to be clamping through an airgap.

Another is there is no standard thickness for the flange of an aftermarket pulley. The offset originally set up for the mustang is what it is machined to. The thickness of the pulley can be anything. Flipping the pulley over you are now mounting to the anything dimension. So another brand (or even a different batch) can be a different offset. Just want to give the heads up to anyone wanting to try this with another pulley.

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Broncobowsher is correct you might need some spacers between the pulley and the balancer my balancer is flush on the front so I know I will need to make some spacers I will try to find a stock one as I don't want to slow down the explorer power steering pump with 35 inch tires . Thank for posting up the pics Thanks again Keith

OP
OP
KBUCK1

KBUCK1

Still have to get exhaust installed and seats installed and this 2 year project will be finished. I'll measure the distance between pulley and balancer. Without even looking I can promise there is some clearance with this pArticular pulley. The engine builder is as particular about his work as anyone with 35+ years experience

OP
OP
KBUCK1

KBUCK1

Broncobowsher is correct you might need some spacers between the pulley and the balancer my balancer is flush on the front so I know I will need to make some spacers I will try to find a stock one as I don't want to slow down the explorer power steering pump with 35 inch tires . Thank for posting up the pics Thanks again Keith

Ok, there's a good 1/8 inch between the 2. A spacer wouldn't work anyways as it would put the pulley too far out to line up with other pulleys. Guess I just got lucky

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The gap is good. The pulley is properly clamped to the damper.

If shims were needed it still wouldn't have been the end of the world. You would have only needed as much as the interference fit. The pulley would still be in the same place, just the bolt loading would have improved.