• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer crank pulley on 28oz balancer

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Damperdudes have rebalanced explorer dampers for early 302 and 351w .. the driven adapter pulley is hit or miss if you have noises/chirpy belt..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Are the mustang pulleys the same size?

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-8221/Mustang-Stock-Steel-Pulley-Kit-Black-79-93

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

No. The only 2 ways of doing the Explorer is either with an Explorer damper (and have it rebalanced to the old factor) or use the aluminum conversion pulley on the old style 3-bolt crank damper.

I have heard of wear issues with aluminum, but I think that is higher mileage than most people are doing these days. A motorcycle friend was telling me about hard anodizing a rare out of production aftermarket aluminum pulley he got to prevent/minimize wear.

OP
OP
theshadow

theshadow

Argh, I have a balanced rotating kit that came with brand new damper, so just trying to get the right pulley.

I suppose aluminum isn't the end of world, especially if they'll anodize in black to match the rest of the stock Explorer stuff after paint.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Argh, I have a balanced rotating kit that came with brand new damper, so just trying to get the right pulley.

I suppose aluminum isn't the end of world, especially if they'll anodize in black to match the rest of the stock Explorer stuff after paint.

Is your damper a three bolt pulley style? The Explorer adapter pulley fits the three bolt balancer. Another option would be to send your balanced damper to DamperDudes. Have them balance an Explorer balancer to your damper specs.

Mark

OP
OP
theshadow

theshadow

Thought it was the old style three bolt, but it's a four bolt like the mustangs.
a6888d5743fdc852e0ba6aae3d6ee3d1.jpg
37d1434a9971f030d1552fc7feac5802.jpg
998f3b206d7ef5e22df7639d4e13fca7.jpg