• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer crankshaft position sensor

Colliedog3

Loc.
Waxhaw NC
I am in the process of installing a explorer efi system on my broncos current engine and I was wondering where the crankshaft position sensor is mounted or if it can be mounted with v-belts and the older style timing cover.

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
it can be done, you need i believe a 36-1 trigger wheel to put on your balancer and a sensor bracket to mount to the front cover (many adjustable ones out there for a sbf)

junebug

If anyone has a part number that they have had success with please share!
Have to admit I’m proud I have a kid posting topics in here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Sounds like a lot of fabrication just to keep a marginal belt drive system and cooling fan along with an under-performing alternator. The classic startup belt squeal always gives away the guys still running v belts.

Seriously, the serp drive from the explorer is one of the best things Ford did for the small block.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Sounds like a lot of fabrication just to keep a marginal belt drive system and cooling fan along with an under-performing alternator. The classic startup belt squeal always gives away the guys still running v belts.

Seriously, the serp drive from the explorer is one of the best things Ford did for the small block.

Yup! ^^^

Best advice so far!

Mark

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
I will say i didnt comment on that but very true far a small cost it is leaps and bounds better then the v belt setup and more room for a better fan set up

BanditBronco

Explorer serp swap, damper dudes balancer with the trigger wheel, timing cover has the bolt holes for the sensor, all bolt on, no custom stuff issues. Pretty much the only way to go at this point. Unless you like to do stuff twice and end up putting all this stuff on anyway in a year or two.

junebug

Explorer serp swap, damper dudes balancer with the trigger wheel, timing cover has the bolt holes for the sensor, all bolt on, no custom stuff issues. Pretty much the only way to go at this point. Unless you like to do stuff twice and end up putting all this stuff on anyway in a year or two.

Ordered a kit from sandman.... might as well bite the bullet now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bet I can come up with the serpentine stuff you need ;D

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's been a long time since I did this, but I think you have to shave some off of the explorer front cover. You'll see when you go to put it on there is a minor interference that a rasp can take care of.