• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer donor motor mount bolts

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am dissecting a 99 explorer. I have the front clip off and everything disconnected that I know of except the driver side motor mount. How in the world do you get to those bolts? I'd hate to do a motor swap in an explorer with the clip on! Is there something I'm overlooking?

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
A real pain in the rear! I even had to cut though the nuts with a dermal. Thinking back, I wonder if I could have removed the exhaust manifolds for better access.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The one I did, whipped out the plasma cutter and cut frame parts out of the way until I got there. I always just assumed it was bad because it was wrecked on that side, I have since learned nope it just sucks. We cut the front clip off with a quicky saw….

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like common conclusion is that they just suck! I have no idea how this could be done without cutting the front clip off like I've done, or remove the front axle to gain access to the bottom side.

A pic of my current situation... everything else is loose (that I know of and until I tug on it to expose what else is hanging up). The trans and t case are sitting freely on the skid plate.

Bonus... my utility trailer will upgrade it's 13" steel wheels to Explorer aluminum 15's lol.

Attachments

• Explorer Demo.jpg
    Explorer Demo.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 53

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Robert, take lots of notes. I have an extremely rusty 2000 Explorer Limited that I am dreading taking apart. Right now I can still drive it around so I'm not in a hurry.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's out! It actually worked out really well since my in laws were in town for Thanksgiving. It gave my father-in-law and I some shop time together and he was a huge help.
It was a fighter, but it eventually slipped out!
For future reference - remove the driver manifold and those top bolts are much easier to access. There are two bolts on top of the motor mount that need to be removed to get the motor out - don't worry about the ones on the bottom of the mount that are so hard to access. Also, if you're pulling the entire drivetrain like me, the trans shift cable bracket needs to come off. Two easy bolts to get to, and it does interfere with it coming out.

Attachments

• Explorer Out.jpg
    Explorer Out.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Explorer Stripped.jpg
    Explorer Stripped.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 25