• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer EFI Fuel lines

1buckeyefan1

Hey all.. i'm at the point of my frame-off, putting it all back together, buying parts, etc. Here is what i'm assembling:

74 frame, recently powdercoated. I removed all of factory clips and tapped them 3/8" to run all of the fuel lines down the side of the frame

- 23 gallon NWMP tank, no aux tank. I know, most would recommend buying a new tank w/ in-tank pump, but my budget doesn't allow a new tank (yet).. but would like to plan for it in the future if i stumble across one

- WH in-line frame mounted fuel pump w/ pre & post filters

- 2001 Explorer/Mountaineer donor. Running stock fuel rails & injectors. I believe this is a returnless system

Fuel line options:
1.) I was originally just going to buy the BC broncos hard line kit.. but not sure I like all of the extra connections where the aux tank would sit, etc. Then use the pre-built BC AN flex lines to connect to the filters at the rear and the rails at the front?

2.) I also kept the fuel lines from the Explorer. I've seen folks repurpose these and it's probably budget-friendly, but unsure i'm really keen on putting 20yr old fuel lines back into something i've really got torn down?

3.) WH sells a braided fuel hose kit, which looks super-easy and reasonable $$. But while I have access to the frame, should I go hard + flex line?

4.) Other recommendations?

I'm also planning to use the BC fuel line frame clips and running down the side (where I have the holes tapped)

For those that have done the explorer swap..and had the body off. what is the best option for fuel lines?

Attachments

• WH fuel pump.jpg
    WH fuel pump.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 40
  • wh frame fuel line kit.jpg
    wh frame fuel line kit.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 47
  • powdercoated frame.jpg
    powdercoated frame.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 78

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I bought a roll of hard line, some braided, hand full of A/N fittings, flair tool and bender....

I modeled mine off what BC was selling.......

Tim

Attachments

• 20180113_164815.jpg
    20180113_164815.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 20180113_164823.jpg
    20180113_164823.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 20180113_164843.jpg
    20180113_164843.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 20160929_180136.jpg
    20160929_180136.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 140
OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

I bought a roll of hard line, some braided, hand full of A/N fittings, flair tool and bender....

I modeled mine off what BC was selling.......

Tim

Thanks for the pics! that's why i love this forum, ive saved thousands of pictures over the last 3 years preparing for this :)

I'm considering custom bending/flaring and buying the needed AN fittings. It would certainly be the most cost effective and custom solution. I've done some brake/transmission lines in the past.. but high-pressure fuel plumbing is something I haven't done yet. I have a cheap bender and flaring tool already..

As long as I really pay attention to the fittings and pressure (and carry a fire extinguisher), is this a viable option?

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Howdy. i bought 6 ft lengths of hard line and made my own running on top of the frame using the BC (i think) 3 line clamps and then AN lines up to the explorer fuel rail. i do have an aux tank and set up a carter (i think) pump as a transfer pump from aux to main 23 gallon tank with in tank efi pump. i had to use check valve to prevent flow back into aux tank from return line.

Here is a general pic to chew on

Hank

fuel lines.jpg

yakelys69

Many options, I went with Nylon Fuel Line with the Dorman tool/ quick disconnect fittings along with BC fuel line frame clips, came out good, was easy less expensive and will be easy to modify or fix later if any need arrises. The quick disconnects make changing the fuel filter simple.

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

Howdy. i bought 6 ft lengths of hard line and made my own running on top of the frame using the BC (i think) 3 line clamps and then AN lines up to the explorer fuel rail. i do have an aux tank and set up a carter (i think) pump as a transfer pump from aux to main 23 gallon tank with in tank efi pump. i had to use check valve to prevent flow back into aux tank from return line.

Here is a general pic to chew on

Hank

View attachment 513523

thanks for the inspiration and pic! I really wanted to retain the aux tank (and already have a 2nd hole cut in my rear quarter before I chose to go explorer swap). Do you happen to have the part #'s for the pump and check valve? how do you control the transfer? I assume you got rid of the fuel selection knob, etc. and have a simple on/off switch to do the transfer? My NWNP 23gal tank has a few small holes that I could route to.

Any additional pics are appreciated!

I also like the idea of 6' pre-flared lines.. that I could bend/use a the main line so I dont have to worry about my flares being perfect?

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

Many options, I went with Nylon Fuel Line with the Dorman tool/ quick disconnect fittings along with BC fuel line frame clips, came out good, was easy less expensive and will be easy to modify or fix later if any need arrises. The quick disconnects make changing the fuel filter simple.

quick disconnects, that's a great call out too. I think i have the part numbers stashed away in my note.

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

I used the A/N version at the fuel filter.......

Tim

I think I feel a little better with A/N fittings throughout too.

Speaking of A/N.. i'm sure quality varies (plus I like the look of black fittings on silver lines). Does anyone recommend a brand they like that don't strip, fit the hose perfect, etc? I see el cheapo like "evil energy" on amazon that good reviews, but usually you get what you pay for.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
thanks for the inspiration and pic! I really wanted to retain the aux tank (and already have a 2nd hole cut in my rear quarter before I chose to go explorer swap). Do you happen to have the part #'s for the pump and check valve? how do you control the transfer? I assume you got rid of the fuel selection knob, etc. and have a simple on/off switch to do the transfer? My NWNP 23gal tank has a few small holes that I could route to.

Any additional pics are appreciated!

I also like the idea of 6' pre-flared lines.. that I could bend/use a the main line so I dont have to worry about my flares being perfect?

check valve
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NKS48G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SP1249 is the in tank pump i used

transfer pump

https://www.jegs.com/i/Carter/180/P...dgxybBDNOup8SdKGpERmin8-Za-xVpUkaAiWQEALw_wcB

I did get rid of the selection valve and welded the hole shut with a patch. i tee'd into the return line and the transfer pump pulls out of the aux tank and dumps into the return line. the check valve prevents the return line from filling the aux tank. i used an open hole and rocker switch on the dash to turn on the pump. you might be able to use the tank selector switch as well as i think it has a second set of contacts. i dint want to go this was as the pump would come on if i only wanted to check aux tank level

Hank

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I think I feel a little better with A/N fittings throughout too.

Speaking of A/N.. i'm sure quality varies (plus I like the look of black fittings on silver lines). Does anyone recommend a brand they like that don't strip, fit the hose perfect, etc? I see el cheapo like "evil energy" on amazon that good reviews, but usually you get what you pay for.

I bought most of mine along with the braided at anfittingsdirect

The rest I bought at Summit...

Tim

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

check valve
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NKS48G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SP1249 is the in tank pump i used

transfer pump

https://www.jegs.com/i/Carter/180/P...dgxybBDNOup8SdKGpERmin8-Za-xVpUkaAiWQEALw_wcB

I did get rid of the selection valve and welded the hole shut with a patch. i tee'd into the return line and the transfer pump pulls out of the aux tank and dumps into the return line. the check valve prevents the return line from filling the aux tank. i used an open hole and rocker switch on the dash to turn on the pump. you might be able to use the tank selector switch as well as i think it has a second set of contacts. i dint want to go this was as the pump would come on if i only wanted to check aux tank level

Hank

Hank, that's very helpful. I was really trying to come up with a reason to keep my aux tank after going to Explorer/23gal. You just gave me a good enough reason (and the parts numbers) to do it!

Jeff

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

So in chatting w/ a few folks about my setup.. am I missing a part here in using my existing 23gal NWMP tank and the WH external pump setup? Do i have to also factor in a fuel accumulator to avoid sucking air?

https://bcbroncos.com/shop/fuel/fue...lter-42737-qt-short-version-for-early-bronco/

As much as I want to avoid it, would the cleaner (and much more $$) option be to go with a new tank w/ explorer pump?

I suspect most of the early generation of Explorer adopters already know the answer to this :)

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
You don't want anything to do with an external pump. Ford has not used an external pump on EFI since 1987, and there's a good reason. High pressure pumps are designed to be submerged. The only reason not to put the tank in the pump is if you are stubborn, or unwilling to remove the tank in the event that the pump fails.

In my case, I had a NW fab 23 gallon non-efi tank. I wanted to add fuel injection. The easy answer was the Tanks Inc fuel pump kit. It comes with a Walbro pump, and a nice little baffle tray, and 1/4 NPT outputs. The mounting plate has plenty of screws (16), and you don't really need the backing ring. You also get service and support from someone that knows how to answer a telephone. In the unlikely event of a pump failure, I can splice in my external pump between the existing tank "carb" fitting and the fuel filter to get myself home.

From there, I go to a Fram cartridge filter, and then -6AN in braided stainless teflon directly to the rail. NO SPLICES. One singe piece from filter to rail.

The whole thing costs about $300. ($220 for the pump kit, and $70 for the hose.) then you are done.

Attachments

• gastank.jpg
    gastank.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 108
  • fuelfilter.jpeg
    fuelfilter.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 124

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
As much as I want to avoid it, would the cleaner (and much more $$) option be to go with a new tank w/ explorer pump?

I suspect most of the early generation of Explorer adopters already know the answer to this :)

I have the return style system on mine. I cut the top of a stock Explorer gas tank off, and dropped the entire pump assembly onto my NWMP 23 gal tank. The depth is the same at 13”. I spaced the tank down 1 1/4” to accommodate the plumbing. I also run that same style frame pump you have pictured. It’s a back up pump that takes about 10 mins. to change over to. I haven’t had the need for the aux. tank, I occasionally carry a gas can. Cut rockers and rock skis don’t allow for the aux. tank.

Mark

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
You don't want anything to do with an external pump. Ford has not used an external pump on EFI since 1987, and there's a good reason. High pressure pumps are designed to be submerged. The only reason not to put the tank in the pump is if you are stubborn, or unwilling to remove the tank in the event that the pump fails.

In my case, I had a NW fab 23 gallon non-efi tank. I wanted to add fuel injection. The easy answer was the Tanks Inc fuel pump kit. It comes with a Walbro pump, and a nice little baffle tray, and 1/4 NPT outputs. The mounting plate has plenty of screws (16), and you don't really need the backing ring. You also get service and support from someone that knows how to answer a telephone. In the unlikely event of a pump failure, I can splice in my external pump between the existing tank "carb" fitting and the fuel filter to get myself home.

From there, I go to a Fram cartridge filter, and then -6AN in braided stainless teflon directly to the rail. NO SPLICES. One singe piece from filter to rail.

The whole thing costs about $300. ($220 for the pump kit, and $70 for the hose.) then you are done.

The Tanks Inc. pump hanger and tray is a great way to convert the NWMP tank. I had everything leftover from my Explorer donor vehicle. So I went that route.
The frame rail pumps are a proven design for our application. I know several that have been running that set up for years. So I wouldn’t hesitate to use one. My stock Explorer pump, which was 20 years old. Finally quit on me, so 10 mins. later I was back on the road with my frame pump in place. I didn’t change out my in tank pump till 1 1/2 years later. Those NWMP tanks are set up for this, there’s really no reason not to take advantage of it.

Mark

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

The Tanks Inc. pump hanger and tray is a great way to convert the NWMP tank. I had everything leftover from my Explorer donor vehicle. So I went that route.
The frame rail pumps are a proven design for our application. I know several that have been running that set up for years. So I wouldn’t hesitate to use one. My stock Explorer pump, which was 20 years old. Finally quit on me, so 10 mins. later I was back on the road with my frame pump in place. I didn’t change out my in tank pump till 1 1/2 years later. Those NWMP tanks are set up for this, there’s really no reason not to take advantage of it.

Mark

Mark, i think I read your thread in my research and remember being inspired to hack up my NWMP tank and drop my explorer pump into it. I'm pretty sure I have my stock explorer pump yet, and probably even a new one that I picked up during my parts hoarding year.

I really like the Tanks Inc setup too. that seems much more reasonable vs. jumping into a new tank? Pretty sure i'm going with one of these two options

So if I already have a new Explorer pump on-hand, is that nearly equivalent to the Tanks Inc setup? Or is the Tanks Inc fuel reservoir the key to this setup?

Also, what does the Fram fuel filter cartridge offer vs. a basic frame-mount filter that most of the vendors offer?

Finally, thanks for all of the pictures guys!

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

James, excellent suggestion! Way more reasonable than buying/shipping a new tank, then buying a pump, etc for it. Did you use the PA-2 setup (up to 430HP)? This is a definite consideration!

Jeff

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
.......I really like the Tanks Inc setup too. that seems much more reasonable vs. jumping into a new tank? Pretty sure i'm going with one of these two options

So if I already have a new Explorer pump on-hand, is that nearly equivalent to the Tanks Inc setup? Or is the Tanks Inc fuel reservoir the key to this setup?

Also, what does the Fram fuel filter cartridge offer vs. a basic frame-mount filter that most of the vendors offer?

Finally, thanks for all of the pictures guys!

The Tanks Inc. set up would be the easiest, especially if you don’t have a stock Explorer fuel tank to cut up.
I don’t use any filter mfg. by Fram. I use the stock pick up sock on the in tank Explorer pump, and a stock Explorer EFI frame mounted filter. For the rail mounted fuel pump, I use a universal LP inline filter.

Mark.

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

The Tanks Inc. set up would be the easiest, especially if you don’t have a stock Explorer fuel tank to cut up.

Mark.

Ah, I trashed the tank when I sent the explorer to the scrap yard, thinking i kept what I needed. I kept the pump assembly though and bought a new one, thinking I'd go with a custom tank that used the explorer pump setup.

Out of curiosity, what should have I cut/kept from the explorer tank besides the pump?

Sounds like tanks inc is the way to go here.

Jeff

5188f32393d91aa329842539781543db.jpg
fb8a98a07653fa6bd8014368c33d5d47.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk