• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer EFI. What wirring harness to buy?

crawler73

I'm sure there are a few threads floating around out there so I'm sorry if I'm duplicating them but, I'm in the middle of doing the explorer EFI conversion on my bronco. I have to re wire the rest of the bronco to and I'm trying to figure out what the best path is for picking a harness. I don't want to go super cheap if I'm just going to have to buy extra thing. That being said I would also like staying away from spending $900. Any help would be great.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
The Explorer harness is set up to be stand alone, so don't let it influence your harness choice. It will work fine with any harness out there.

As for the best bang for the buck chassis harness... I'll let others chime in because I really don't know.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yep, what he said. Any of the chassis harnesses will work just fine, and will frankly be better and easier to connect to than a stock one.
In my opinion, the best thing you could do to any harness would be to add a few extra grounding points. This keeps communications happy between the computer and all the sensors and the odd floating electron or three-million.

Crawl around any modern car or truck and you'll see what I mean. Ground wires/straps/cables from the battery to the engine, battery to body, as well as between the engine and firewall, engine and frame, body and frame, etc. Heck, even the hoods are grounded to the rest of the body with an extra strap! No stray signals or interference allowed.
Any place you can think of to bond one part of the truck to another is good.

Is it overkill? Maybe... But maybe not. And with all the extra work you're going through to install a modern fuel-injection system, might as well be safe, rather than sorry and chasing your tail around town looking for some small fault that just turned out to be a bad signal back to the ECM.

Have fun!

Paul

OP
OP
C

crawler73

My first thought was to go with the harness from west coast Broncos. It doesn't come with a lot of the the factory connectors (EFI Guy pointed this out) but at that price I can get what I need and add my own fuse block to get more room for unknowns.

Does that see ok? Is there something I'm not thinking ok.

How many circuits do I need for the factory stuff? Light, horn radio those kind of things?