• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Parts

AussieBronco

I am in the middle of doing a EFI swap with a thunderbird doner. I have a friend who has a towing business and has 2 4.0l explorers in his yard that are about to get hauled away any day. My question is there anything I should be taking off these for my swap? Spares or if I have bad parts, ect?
Thanks

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
MAYBE the TPS but i'm not positive. Other than that, I dont think so. I've spent plenty of time staring into 4.0 Explorer engine bays at the junkyard and never see anything interesting.

you might be able to use the fuse boxes if you want to put the time into rewiring them.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The fan and clutch assembly from a 4.0 will work on a 5.0
this is handy when you find a 5.0 Explorer that is wrecked and the fan is toast.

I pulled a 4.0 from a ranger and did a 5.0 install. Nothing really could carry over. Just a few of the competely generic things like BARO senser.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
The BP sensors are the same as the 5.0's and they are much easier to find.

You could also nab the disk brakes off of the rear from the backing plates out. They bolt right up to the 74/75 BB 9" axles.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You could also nab the disk brakes off of the rear from the backing plates out. They bolt right up to the 74/75 BB 9" axles.

It will only bolt onto the medium duty axle with 10" brakes and big bearing.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Fuse box is excellent for EFI and has plenty of extra fuses for upgrades.