• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Rear Brake Install Confusion

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Small bearing 9" with factory limited slip. Installed 4.11 gears, new 28 spline axles and replaced bearings throughout. Installing rear disc setup off of a 96 explorer. Two issues. The axle bearings are about .15" thicker than the landing in bearing housing, so they stick out beyond the end of the housing. Second is offset. I have read about a million posts and threads on here trying to figure out what I need to do to my setup to make it work. Seems to need about 3/10" more offset for the disc to be seated on the flange. Ground the housing ends and the caliper mount fits flush. 'Lil help?

79INA69

Small bearing 9" with factory limited slip. Installed 4.11 gears, new 28 spline axles and replaced bearings throughout. Installing rear disc setup off of a 96 explorer. Two issues. The axle bearings are about .15" thicker than the landing in bearing housing, so they stick out beyond the end of the housing. Second is offset. I have read about a million posts and threads on here trying to figure out what I need to do to my setup to make it work. Seems to need about 3/10" more offset for the disc to be seated on the flange. Ground the housing ends and the caliper mount fits flush. 'Lil help?
I put junkyard explorer disc on my 69 fastback small bearing 9". I installed split washers from a quick time performance. Think I had to open up the holes in the backing plate to put the t bolts through. Pretty sure this is what your talking about. If your search explorer rear disc spacer it should show up.

Jedeka

Contributor
I think this is you you need.

Attachments

• 85261911-96D0-4FCC-BDE7-5CA4434EC6F0.png
    85261911-96D0-4FCC-BDE7-5CA4434EC6F0.png
    298.2 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
I think this is you you need.
I have the Currie spacers. The problem is with everything thing put together, the disc likes about .2” from seating on the axle. It bottoms out on the caliper mount. I’ve decided to add a spacer between the axle bearing and the shoulder it is supposed to land against. My engineer buddy says it should be fine. I will post up how it works out.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So the axle flange is too far in towards the differential? Or too far out away from the bearing?

And the spacer you are going to use. It’s between the axle in the bearing, meaning you have to take the bearing back off?
Kind of a bummer to have to do that.

If it pushes the axle outward you just have to be aware of how much spline engagement you have remaining in the differential.

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
The axle flange is too far in toward the diff. So yeah, pressing the bearing back off and adding a spacer to make up the difference. I’m gonna measure the distance to insure I have good spline engagement, but I’m hoping 3/10” won’t make that much of a difference. Thanks Paul!