• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer rear disk shock options

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
Im in the middle of my rear disk swap and the shocks would need to be moved inboard an inch. I'm running some older ranchos so they're pretty big. What is every one else doing? Will the smaller diameter of billstiens be enough? Lift is 4.5"

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The most common fixes are:
1. Moving the shock to the outside of the bracket itself, using a longer bolt to literally bolt it to the inside edge. You lose the double-shear strength, but it's a quick fix and most Broncos don't get used hard these days with stiff shocks.
2. Flip the shocks upside down. This works fairly often, as long as the shocks are compatible. Older Ranchos (really old?) used to work just find in a body-up/shaft-down position. Not sure about the newer ones, but I've heard not recommended.
3. Getting smaller bodied shocks. This can work, but it's sketchy sometimes, depending on the brake kit and where exactly your shock mounts were put on at the factory. And which day they were welded!
4. Moving the shock mounts inboard that inch.

I think you'll hear every one of those mentioned in this forum, plus probably a few more. Like moving the shock mounts to the front of the axle, or completely new shock location designs and such. Again, may depend on the brake kit.
If yours has parking brakes that probably puts some more packaging limitations on what you can get away with.

Paul
Paul

OP
OP
399strokerEB

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
Ok thanks, I know they're at least 12 years old. The bushings dont want to move that far over either. I saw a couple pictures online where people had moved the lower mount inboard, and the shock bushings look like they're going to give up pretty quickly. I may try flipping these first to see what that gets me. This axle swap is killing me lol.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you buy a longer grade8 bolt to move the shock outside the bracket toward the leaf spring buy a spacer to put inside the stock mount so it doesn't collapse when you tighten things up.