• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Serp power steering pump

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
if you have a hydraulic repair store like Parker near you they have those fittings in stock.

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

Yeah ive got a local store that carrries fittings.....looks like that fitting is just a -6 an to metric...

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Just a thought - double check the intake/suction tube going to the pump. If it is kinked at all, that could cause problems. Also, you want to make sure that you are not taking in air - so check that the intake tube and all other lines are air-tight.

Noise in the pump can only mean a few things - restrictions in the lines (intake or output); maybe some steering box issues; air in the lines. I have found that air in the lines is the most likely culprit when changing to a new pump.

Have you felt your pump to see if it is getting hot really quick? Make sure it doesn't get too hot and burn fluid/seals/whatever while you are trying to figure it out.

Eric

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

I was wrong about the noise...it was my 4g alternator thats loud. My intake tubes are plumbed without kinks....im using the factory snap clips....but ill throw on some hose clamps and tighten them down...Is there anything special about the lee fitting? Is it just a strait -6 an to metric 16-1.5 adapter? Much like this? http://m.summitracing.com/parts/rus-670530

mattt

Bronco Guru
Yes, there is something special about the Lee Mfg. fitting, but I don't know what because I didn't use it. There is something about how it's machined to mimic the factory Explorer hose fitting where it attaches to the HP outlet of the pump. I'm surprised the tech article for Explorer serp has not been updated to remove the info about the russell fitting since so many people have had problems making it work. It seems like the tech article should mention the Lee and drop everything else that questionably or doesn't work.

I used a factory Explorer hose which is plenty long(cut to req'd length) and had the correct end put on the box side at a local hose and hydraulic company. The ps box end of the hose is easy since it's std. double flare....it's the pump end that is finicky as you have found out.

Attachments

• exp-ps-hose.JPG
    exp-ps-hose.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Bundy

Bronco Guru
I went through the same shit. I ended up buying the fitting AND sending my pump to Lee's to have them prime and "turn it up" somehow. As soon as I put it in it worked perfect at every RPM. I'm not sure if it is the reman pumps or the fitting but I feel your pain.

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

Thanks I'm trying to be as thorough as possible. Some of the other threads can be pretty vague...and dont have any concise answers. Is there an online vendor that sells that fitting from lees? Or do I have to call them up?

bsquared

Contributor
I also changed out my pump to little effect. Added the smaller pulley to speed the pump up and it's better, but still won't turn my 31's until over 1200 rpms. (badass at 1500 and above)

I am thinking I need to change to the WH upgrade or do the internal upgrade to get the volume at low idle that the 4x4x2 box needs. Good luck!

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I dont get it. I had stock exploder pump and stock box for a long time turning 35s no problem. I only modified pump for quicker turning ability at low speed and more power on rocks. I wish tgere was a simple solution to this.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I also changed out my pump to little effect. Added the smaller pulley to speed the pump up and it's better, but still won't turn my 31's until over 1200 rpms. (badass at 1500 and above)

I am thinking I need to change to the WH upgrade or do the internal upgrade to get the volume at low idle that the 4x4x2 box needs. Good luck!

What are you using as far as line and/or fittings, adapters? For that size tire and street driving there is no need for the WH upgraded pump. There is obviously something wrong, find and fix the problem or buy more parts if that's your preference.

I think a blanket statement can be mentioned here.....if you have the Explorer pump and can't get it working or it takes a lot of effort to turn your wheels at any engine RPM, there is a problem. For how many of us have no problems and assist at any RPM, the stock pump is capable.

Mine is one finger turning with 35's or 33's. Mine did take quite a while to burp the last of the air out, but I knew when it burped as it was visible and you could hear the burp. I took the belt off & spun the pump up with a Dewalt drill to speed up the bleeding....but it still took quite a few minutes from what I remember.

thirdtime

Contributor
I dont get it. I had stock exploder pump and stock box for a long time turning 35s no problem. I only modified pump for quicker turning ability at low speed and more power on rocks. I wish tgere was a simple solution to this.

Same for me. I have a junkyard pump out of an explorer that had over 200K miles on it. I can turn 35's at a 700 RPM idle with no noise or resistance. I took the explorer hose and a Bronco hose to the local hydraulic shop and they cut the ends off of each hose, welded a standard fitting on each steel end and made a new hose. Cost me 60 bucks for everything and the hose can now be made at any standard shop.

Attachments

• PS Hose.jpg
    PS Hose.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 45

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
You can also use a vacuum pump to help pull the air out of the fluid, but you will need to find a way to rig that up. Seems to me that too many people have issues with the Explorer style pump - it is finicky to get working. I personally attribute that to the remote reservoir, which is why I decided to convert my Explorer serpentine to use a saginaw pump with the on-pump reservoir. Wild Horses offers their own flavor of this adaptation.

Eric

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I went through all this when I did mine it turned out to be the fitting .Lees is the correct length going down in the top of the pump if its a few thousands to deep or to shallow it will not work correct.The russells is to deep I think it pushes down something and blocks a fluid passage. Lees is the correct length ,I think when some people use a different washer thickness on a fitting like russells fitting they get lucky and it it works first try. I know this sounds crazy but I have done 2 now with no problems.

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

For science!!!....So before all the Lee fitting stuff....I had already ordered a couple fittings.....I ordered Russel p/n:670530/aluminum and a borgeson p/n 925121/steel Here are some more detailed pics of the two...the russel is ported more than its steel counterpart...has place for an O-ring.the steel has longer threads that taper up...Im leaning towards the steel fitting as it has the longer threads...After getting with a buddy Hydro troop at the shop he mention the second port in the threaded portion of the pump might be a bypass...so covering that up will help port fluid at Idle.....any how im giving it a shot!

Attachments

• 20140604_221542.jpg
    20140604_221542.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20140604_221602.jpg
    20140604_221602.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20140604_222602.jpg
    20140604_222602.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

So, without a backup ring/crush washer...the steel borgeson fitting shanks out and wont seal..will get said back up washer/backing ring and try again. Russel fitting seals up just fine, definatly an improvment over my "modified o-ring russel fitting" but still hardly any assist at idle. Im thinking my hydro buddy was right in that side port needs to be blocked off to prevent fluid from bypassing. Hope all this stuff is helping at least one dude whos throwing his tools around the garage....

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
For science!!!....So before all the Lee fitting stuff....I had already ordered a couple fittings.....I ordered Russel p/n:670530/aluminum and a borgeson p/n 925121/steel Here are some more detailed pics of the two...the russel is ported more than its steel counterpart...has place for an O-ring.the steel has longer threads that taper up...Im leaning towards the steel fitting as it has the longer threads...After getting with a buddy Hydro troop at the shop he mention the second port in the threaded portion of the pump might be a bypass...so covering that up will help port fluid at Idle.....any how im giving it a shot!

If the 2nd port allows for idle flow, I am not sure longer threads are what you want.

Lee's fitting keeps getting a lot of air time, and I am sure it works pefectly, but I noticed that WH also sells a fitting that has the oring seal at the hex and mates to 6AN. Support the bronco houses...

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Fitting_6x16mmx1-5_lower_O-Ring

8287_3013_popup.jpg

Eric

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

That looks like the russel fitting just with the crush washer/o ring.....going out of town again for a few days....will hit up my local hyraulics guy when i get back...im sure he will.have a backer and a crush washer that will seal up that borgeson fitting....

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Explorer pump output port

The reason the Lee fitting (and the stock hose) work well is because the flow control valve for the pump lives in the pressure port. If it's not located axially precisely where it needs to be, the holes in the valve body don't line up with the passages in the pump casting. I talked to Tom Lee about it myself 10 years ago or so when I got the fitting that I run. Since then I've had a pump apart- you can see the various holes and passages. Considering that the Lee fitting or a modified stock hose isn't very expensive, IMHO it doesn't seem worth the bother to try to get a fitting not made for the pump to work.

KBUCK1

Earl's Performance 961955ERL - Earl's Performance AN to Metric Adapter Fittings

I used this one from summit and have no leaks and have assist at idle

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

Looks like im trying my luck at another pump....picked up the fitting from Lee's got it installed...bled it....same result....Since my handheld vacuum pump wasnt cutting it....i got a crazy idea to hook up my manifold vacuum to my suction cup....(i used a catch can mid line) so even with a solid 18 in/hg on it...nadda....so here more pics of that lee fitting
ehenaraq.jpg
hy4egapy.jpg
lee fitting on the far right.