• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Swap Headers?

rixtasan

Contributor
I have brand new set of BC Broncos long tube headers. Does anyone know if they'll work on the GT-40p heads on my Explorer 5.0? Any Help would be appreciated.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Are you sure you have BC broncos long tube headers? I didnt think they offered long tube headers. I dont believe they market there headers as being P head friendly but people have used them. In any case most can be used with P heads you may need to use shorter spark plugs made for use with headers or in some cases a header tube needs to be modified with a hammer. Sometimes just 90 degree plug boots will give enough clearance.
Basically you will need to bolt them on and see if you have any clearance issues,

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's what I'd do too, if I already owned a set of headers.
But if they don't work and you'd rather get something else than try to "customize" the existing ones, the Bronco Hut headers from Sanderson should work best (so far) with the P heads.

Paul

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Don't waste your time and frustration trying to make headers work... sell them on here and buy the right headers. Verify that you have the 'P' heads too, not all Explorers had 'P' heads.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Second that ^^^

Stock 302 headers do not work on the P heads. You can bash the crap out of them and they still don't fit right. I bought the Sanderson headers from BH and they fit and work perfect.
The issue is the spark plug angle. Stock angle back and the P heads it comes straight out from the block.
I'm running the sander sons on my stock 302 right now until this spring when I do the swap so the Sanderson units work on both heads.

Lon L

I have the P heads and I went with the Bronco Hut Ceramic coated shorty headers. They fit great, the bolts are a pain if the engine is installed. I just found a loose bolt on my collector . I can only get a bite with a flat open end thin wrench, then I can only turn a small amount. I ordered a open end ratchet wrench that I hope will help.