• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer swap information

chaosrob

I hate to be that guy since there are so many threads on this already, but is there an updated "how to" and parts availability list for this conversion? I have searched a few different ways and most threads are incomplete and/or old with some outdated info, or info contradicted by other threads/posts. It gets pretty eye crossing and numbing trying to piece it all together, maybe I am just dumb.

I am looking at doing the engine/trans from an explorer into my 74 v8 Bronco and keeping it auto.

Questions:
Does the factory a/c compressor from the explorer work with a vintage air kit?
Does the P/S Pump need to be upgraded?
Does anyone make a transmission support for a 205 transfer case?
Is the only reason the gt40 heads are preferred over the gt40p besides the exhaust manifolds? Not looking for crazy mods to the engine
Does anyone sell manifolds/headers that work with the 5.0/auto conversion now?
Preferred standalone harness for the swap?
I apologize for the redundancy for a beaten topic. TIA

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
1. Yes. I'm doing exactly that. Just make sure your example isn't junk. If it's contaminated it can make a mess of all your new Viintage Air parts.
2. Stock pump works just fine. I've been running one with 35" tires for almost 20 years.
3. Dunno. Were it me I'd keep the D20.
4. P heads flow better = more power, better efficiency, etc. If your engine has P heads and you aren't doing mods, use the OEM cast iron Explorer manifolds. As I understand it even original Bronco manifolds can work with a little filing.
5. If you mean can you buy headers that fit, I believe that Bronco Hut/Sanderson headers fit. Beyond that I dunno. I modified some JBA headers to work, but that was 20+ years ago.
6. Mod the factory Explorer harness is what I'd be doing. There are videos by EFIguy out there showing what to do. I'm no help, I run an EEC-IV system that's too arcane to get into, but it allows me to run an unmodified EEC-IV computer, no reflashing of the ECU required.

onpier55

Loc.
Roseville Ca
Read. Read and reread the previous threads on this. That’s what I did. I used a motor out of a 99 mountaineer. 150k miles. I did not rebuild it. Changed some gaskets, that’s it. Made my own harness following EfiGuys videos. He took care of my ecm. I used everything from the motor from pick and pull. I used stock 74 manifolds. Used a die grinder to make room for the spark plugs. I went manual. An np205 bolts up to a 4r70w. I’d use a Dana 20. Easier to find and plentiful but you’ll need an advanced adapter. I’m using the stock ps pump. No issues with 35’s. I’m going to be installing AC soon and will be using the stock explorer compressor. Good luck. It’s well worth the effort. Make sure you wire in the obd2 port. It’s been helpful to for troubleshooting. I’ve been running it for about three years now. Driven it from the Sacramento area (roseville) to San Diego and back. I drive it up hunting which is 5 hrs one way. I’m glad I did the explorer swap. I’m getting ready to install a Zf5 soon as well. Changing out the np435.

OP
OP
chaosrob

chaosrob

Thank you both for your input. I am going to start accumulating the parts and plan for a winter swap on it.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
On the tangent of AC compressors, unless you are absolutely positive that the compressor you already have is good, I'd just buy a new one. A bad one can make a mess of things, after which you'll get to replace the receiver/dryer and purge the whole system. All of which could cost more than the compressor.

I used one of these when I added AC recently:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=993270&cc=1362462&pt=6628&jsn=10

wizard12

I hate to be that guy since there are so many threads on this already, but is there an updated "how to" and parts availability list for this conversion? I have searched a few different ways and most threads are incomplete and/or old with some outdated info, or info contradicted by other threads/posts. It gets pretty eye crossing and numbing trying to piece it all together, maybe I am just dumb.

I am looking at doing the engine/trans from an explorer into my 74 v8 Bronco and keeping it auto.

Questions:
Does the factory a/c compressor from the explorer work with a vintage air kit?
Does the P/S Pump need to be upgraded?
Does anyone make a transmission support for a 205 transfer case?
Is the only reason the gt40 heads are preferred over the gt40p besides the exhaust manifolds? Not looking for crazy mods to the engine
Does anyone sell manifolds/headers that work with the 5.0/auto conversion now?
Preferred standalone harness for the swap?
I apologize for the redundancy for a beaten topic. TIA

I did the NP205 on mine. This is what I used to attach to the transfer case to support the weight
https://ca.tmrcustoms.com/products/transfer-case-support-kit-np205
I made my own cross member to attach it to.