• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer to Bronco Conversion Fuel Tank

noexcuses

Looking for insight on an inexpensive fuel tank with efi capability and fuel sender (240-33). I am using a 2008 Explorer donor and have room in the rear for a stock system(multiple models) with fabrication of hangers and supports. The $800 systems are really nice just out of my price range right now.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey there. Welcome to classicbroncos! Well, I see you've been a member for a couple of months now, but since you just posted figured you still qualified for a welcome-to-the-disease shoutout.;)

Don't have any info for you on a tank swap (sounds like you're looking for an existing vehicle donor?) but back to the top of the page for others to see.

I believe that more and more people are getting creative in their choice of tanks, but all of us that have specific larger tanks for sale (such as our M1A1 at Wild Horses: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Steel_Fuel_Tanks) are in that $600-$1,200 range you're initially trying to avoid.
Aero Tanks will make certain setups that are at least partially custom, which is likely what you would need to be able to retrofit stock type pump modules out of later vehicles, while we tend to keep with the early 73-10 ohm range for the Bronco gauges.
While generally a little less expensive for their stock offerings, you'd have to call them about a custom setup and see what they say about pricing.

Depending on where you are, shipping could be an issue too of course.
Where are you by the way?

That's still general custom stuff though, and not from a modern donor vehicle out of the junkyard which is likely going to be your lowest cost up front.
Is that what you're trying to find? An existing donor piece? Or a custom Bronco-specific model?

Good luck!

Paul

OP
OP
noexcuses

noexcuses

Paul, yes, new to the board, I've been prowling different threads and learning as much as I can before I post.
Not exactly a used donor tank but rather a new OEM tank (BroncoII, E100) around the same year that will fit my needs. Using the same ohm drop fuel sender so my gauges will still work.
I will give Aero Tanks a call and see what they offer.
I am in NC and have 2 early broncos (68 and 74) that I will likely spend much more money on once I know my way around.
Thanks for the Reply.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
what gauges are you using that need the range that you stated? Not the original ones for the Bronco anymore?
That would make sense though I suppose, since none of the modern EFI in-tank modules are going to be compatible with the old gauges that I know of. Of course there are converters too, which might give you more choices in the end.

Don't know anyone that's ever found an Early Bronco compatible tank out of existing vehicles. The Bronco II has been tried and found wanting. At least it was 20 years ago or so, but not sure if anyone has tried it more recently and had better luck. Not sure about vans, but they are usually long and big saddle tanks. Correct?
If there is a large rear tank in a van or truck, I don't know of any that would be anywhere near compatible with the Bronco frame because it's just too narrow. Narrower than a Bronco II or Explorer or Ranger as far as I know.
Pretty much why companies have been building custom Bronco tanks for almost as long as there have been Broncos. In the old days if someone wanted extra capacity they ordered the dual tanks, then had a third side tank added to the passenger side and either filled through a new neck and cap sticking out of the side of the body, or with a door like on pickups, or from inside the wheel well. After that it was larger rear and side tank replacements. But still none that were off-the-shelf replacement parts for newer vehicles that I know of. Toyota or Nissan maybe? For awhile at least Nissan had narrower frame rails. But I think that ended with the hard-body change in '86 1/2.

All of this is why many early adopters of EFI simply went the Ford route and mounted an external pump on the frame. Still do in fact in some cases, though the in-tank setup is king right now. Just not off-the-shelf that I have seen.

Be cool if you do find one and make it work. Make a lot of Bronco owners very happy!

Good luck.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Paul, yes, new to the board, I've been prowling different threads and learning as much as I can before I post.
Not exactly a used donor tank but rather a new OEM tank (BroncoII, E100) around the same year that will fit my needs. Using the same ohm drop fuel sender so my gauges will still work.
I will give Aero Tanks a call and see what they offer.
I am in NC and have 2 early broncos (68 and 74) that I will likely spend much more money on once I know my way around.
Thanks for the Reply.

Welcome aboard.. You definitely found the right spot

OP
OP
noexcuses

noexcuses

That makes since, I've been completely around the internet searching. Some Econo line vans offered a rear fuel cell for extra capacity, but still too wide.
I'm running my donor vehicle gauges, similar to what timewarpcustoms is doing. Looks like I will need to save up for a custom Bronco tank.
Thanks again for the reply and helpful insight.