• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Exterior partial paint advice

Blue75Sport

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco
Howdy,

I've been slowly rehabbing my '75 Sport and have spent enough on getting it running that I'm ready to think about getting it pretty. PO had repaired a rusted tailgate but didn't paint it after, which wasn't noticeable when my tire rack was black. However, the tire rack was recently painted white, and I now can't stand how it looks against the tailgate and would like to paint them both blue without repainting the entire truck.

Has anyone done a partial paint job? Is Tamco Paint where you'd get an OEM match? The truck was repainted at some point by the PO, but it did start its life as Wind Blue so I'm thinking that even a slightly off blue would be better than what's currently happening back there. Any advice would be appreciated. IMG_8081.jpg IMG_7989.jpg IMG_8082.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oddly, enough, that primer gray actually goes pretty good with the Wind Blue!
Should’ve just painted your tire carrier primer gray instead! :) haha.

Can’t really help with the color decision, but as a side note, I believe your reflectors are on upside down and backwards.
At least upside down. Pretty sure they’re backwards too.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And as a second sidenote… Maybe when you choose the color for the tailgate, you might consider painting the tire carrier that color at the same time.
I think a white carrier looks pretty good, and goes with the top very well. Also goes with the blue.
But I think a body color carrier would be even better.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You will not get an oem match by using a code. Paint matching is becoming a lost art. It is a huge problem in the industry. I have tried five different paint supply houses in my area with no luck. The worst one was I had to repaint an entire bronco because no one could match the color for a small spot on the door. I don't know the reason. Lack of effort, lack of caring, lack of pride in your work...It also could be because the quality of the paint is getting worse due to environmental considerations. The paint does not last and is not nearly as durable as it once was. And remember the big volume collision shops are painting water base paint, so a restoration shop is a bit of an annoyance for a supply house. Recently I discovered a brand new paint supply house that has a $50,000 color match camera and he has been dead nuts on four times in a row. I hope this gives you some insight. Mark in San Diego, Beach City Broncos.

davisjstone

Contributor
BroncoNewbie
You will not get an oem match by using a code. Paint matching is becoming a lost art. It is a huge problem in the industry. I have tried five different paint supply houses in my area with no luck. The worst one was I had to repaint an entire bronco because no one could match the color for a small spot on the door. I don't know the reason. Lack of effort, lack of caring, lack of pride in your work...It also could be because the quality of the paint is getting worse due to environmental considerations. The paint does not last and is not nearly as durable as it once was. And remember the big volume collision shops are painting water base paint, so a restoration shop is a bit of an annoyance for a supply house. Recently I discovered a brand new paint supply house that has a $50,000 color match camera and he has been dead nuts on four times in a row. I hope this gives you some insight. Mark in San Diego, Beach City Broncos.
@markatherton , any chance you can share the info on this paint distributor? Thanks.

Last edited: