• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fabbed up my bumper out of cardboard, tell me what you think

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Great looking work guys.. Anyone interested in a bulk buy and a road trip? I can maybe drive out and get them and deliver them to the east coast to have a build party.

Any thoughts?

A bulk buy would be great. Lemme get the first one done and see what changes and revisions you all want in a bumper kit and we can get it figured out!

Im taking a bumper I built a few years ago and making a rear bumper as well that will have 3 options:

tight and minimal for rockcrawler types (no spare tire at all)

Bigger for looks and more protection around the rig

And with a tire carrier base integrated into it.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Clint... you are ahead of the group.. do the front and we will want the back too

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I see my suggestion has taken off!.... Havent looked at this thread in a while.

Looks like I have to build a front bumper now lol!

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would be interested in a rear bumper w/ tire carrier.

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
awesome guys! Ill be working tomorrow and through the weekend on the test pieces and if things go well Ill cut an actual front out this weekend or early next week. After that another week or so and Ill be in the same place on the rear bumper.

Couple questions for everyone interested:

Recovery points standard, like a clevis mount or as an option?

light tabs as an options?

Rear bumper-

Tire carrier as a builder part in addition to the tire mount set up in the bumper?

Recovery points standard or option?

Bumper material will be 3/16 with gussets and a backer plate to close it all in. A recovery point would be out of 5/8 with a 7/8 hole for a clevis.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I think anyone who needs a bumper like this will need to either recover or be recovered, from either end. ;)

Before you go into production, have you considered storage compartments? Or a fold-down grille guard for seating, hauling, or engine access?

OP
OP
johnnybgood74

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
wow! im glad my cardboard design has taken off! makes me feel good! as soon as i can rub a few coins together i will build one out of steel. lol

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Rear bumper-

Tire carrier as a builder part in addition to the tire mount set up in the bumper?

Recovery points standard or option?

I vote for builder parts for tire carrier and mount with recovery points as option.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
As a quick note, I am thinking all parts will be keyed to fit together to make jigging up/welding easier for folks.

I think that if you are gonna ship this in pieces or even assemble and weld them up yourself then the keys will make lining things up alot easier for all parties involved. Assembly will be faster and very consistent from bumper to bumber! Can't wait to see the prototype pics.

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I think anyone who needs a bumper like this will need to either recover or be recovered, from either end. ;)

Before you go into production, have you considered storage compartments? Or a fold-down grille guard for seating, hauling, or engine access?

I dont know, I dont want to get too complicated on it, and I think the goal is a nice tight simple bumper for everyone. Its a thought for bumper #2 though!

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I think that if you are gonna ship this in pieces or even assemble and weld them up yourself then the keys will make lining things up alot easier for all parties involved. Assembly will be faster and very consistent from bumper to bumber! Can't wait to see the prototype pics.

We do all of our brackets this way. It makes putting them together SO much easier, and I dont see why it cant apply to a bumper. Its a little more work up front, but these days, everybody has a welder it seems like, and if its a spot we can fill, we are all over it.