• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How Safe Are Pre-Fabbed Family Cages?

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Gordon is a very smart and conscientious and he builds a hell of a cage. I love mine and like Lowbush said the design is so well thought out. It's certainly not the cheapest, but look at what you're buying. Don't go cheap on safety.

From a pure safety aspect his is the safest bronco cages out of the ones I have seen, which is a pretty short list I have seen the extreme, Bronco Bobs and BCB. The only other one I would personally run would be the BCB cage but man it's pretty fugly with that bar right in the middle. I will not run a cage that is not a halo, there is just too much risk of separation in a high speed impact and honestly if you are not wheeling hardcore, the most likely thing to put you on the lid is a high speed impact, and in those, a halo design is far superior to any of the sectional main loops.

gladkin

No matter what cage you go with, make sure it is welded by a certified welder that welds and builds cages for a living (and I would definitely use DOM). Protofab makes amazing cages as does Bailie Bilt!

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Nmake sure it is welded by a certified welder that welds and builds cages for a living

I can't agree more, a cage is not a great item to bet on a cheaper less experienced welder, TIG welded is preferable when it comes to cages. It's not a deal breaker if the welder only does MIG but if you have your choice have them TIG it. They may charge you a little more but it's worth the price.

OP
OP
Jambi

Jambi

Contributor
Lovin' the discussion here. I was thinking of going with the Bronco Bob cage, having him ship it unwelded (because of cost savings) and having the guy at the local fab shop weld it for me, with possibly a couple of add-ons. Now, after this discussion, I'm second guessing the Bronco Bob cage. Like jlylec said, "Don't go cheap on safety." I'm just trying to find something that's affordable for me, yet protective of precious cargo. Sounds like the Bailie Built cage might be the answer, even though it's a bit more than I'd like to spend.

I could probably get the Bronco Bob cage and have it welded with a couple of add-ons, for less money than any other vendor cage, but maybe you get what you pay for right?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Lovin' the discussion here. I was thinking of going with the Bronco Bob cage, having him ship it unwelded (because of cost savings) and having the guy at the local fab shop weld it for me, with possibly a couple of add-ons. Now, after this discussion, I'm second guessing the Bronco Bob cage. Like jlylec said, "Don't go cheap on safety." I'm just trying to find something that's affordable for me, yet protective of precious cargo. Sounds like the Bailie Built cage might be the answer, even though it's a bit more than I'd like to spend.

I could probably get the Bronco Bob cage and have it welded with a couple of add-ons, for less money than any other vendor cage, but maybe you get what you pay for right?

My side business is building off road race cars. If I was to buy a cage, I'd buy Bailie Bilt without a second thought, IMO the rest are either inferior or a copy. I don't know anyone that is more caring and passionate about the safety of his customers.

As a side note, within the next 6 weeks I'm coming to Denver, if you buy a Bailie, I'll deliver, free of charge. Shoot me a PM and we can discuss, that also applies to anyone in the metro area that may want any of their products.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Frankly cage preferences generally comes down to location! Midwest guys pimp Bailie Built, Southwest guys pimp Protofab. ... Give mike at Proto Fab a call and see what shipping would be? I've seen several of his cages survive multiple rollovers one has been in two separate tubs and has been through a few rolls.

As for a guy stating a 'kit' cage would be made out of different material than a standard production cage is blowing smoke out of is arse! What shop has time to make a (the same) cage out of two different materials? Of coarse its the same guy demanding that his $4,000 dollar cage is the ONLY cage that's good enough..... Personally that's about $3,000 pure profit in his pocket too.