• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Factory engine colors 1972? pics?

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
I thought I'd start cleaning up the engine this weekend.I'd like to paint it with factory colors.Did 1972 use light Ford blue for the air cleaner and valve covers?

Pics would be great.

Thanks

72Sport

Bronco Guru
broncoswede61 said:
I thought I'd start cleaning up the engine this weekend.I'd like to paint it with factory colors.Did 1972 use light Ford blue for the air cleaner and valve covers?

Pics would be great.

Thanks

Krylon #1923 Ford Dark Blue. I have been buying it at a local auto parts store that is part of the "Auto Value" franchise. You might check the yellow pages and make a few phone calls. I believe there is one in Hawthorne.

OP
OP
B

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
I've got a '73 air cleaner in my parts pile and the color is definitly not a dark blue.Before I got my engine rebuilt and the mechanic painted the manifold and block black they were a dark ford blue.

Did Ford use 2 different blues?

72Sport

Bronco Guru
My 73 air cleaner seemed to only have one coat of dark blue when I bought it 10 years ago. My local auto parts store has tried to sell me the Ford light blue on one occassion. I think they called it Ford blue. I don't know what it was used on. My 72 was the dark blue before I rebuilt it in 1994. It had all original Ford gaskets etc so no one had ever torn it down before.

OP
OP
B

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
72Sport said:
My 73 air cleaner seemed to only have one coat of dark blue when I bought it 10 years ago. My local auto parts store has tried to sell me the Ford light blue on one occassion. I think they called it Ford blue. I don't know what it was used on. My 72 was the dark blue before I rebuilt it in 1994. It had all original Ford gaskets etc so no one had ever torn it down before.

Thanks J...Looks like dark blue is winning..I should just get my act together and install those disc brakes you sold me instead of pondering engine colors.
;D