• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Factory PS box NPT sizes

stanz

Loc.
Portland
I’m going to have my ps box disconnected for a bit and would like to plug the fitting holes for that time rather than leave the hoses open to the air and dripping. Can someone tell me what size the two fittings are?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
They aren't NPT sizes. They're 11/16-18 and 5/8-18 inverted flare.

Todd Z.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Don't attempt to thread pipe fittings into those ports! You will ruin the threads. They are inverted flare fittings, someone else will no doubt chime in on the size.

Edit: I see Todd beat me to it with the sizes.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's also important to keep water and other things out of the steering box. I've seen many boxes that were completely destroyed after water got inside.

OP
OP
stanz

stanz

Loc.
Portland
Don't attempt to thread pipe fittings into those ports! You will ruin the threads. They are inverted flare fittings, someone else will no doubt chime in on the size.

Edit: I see Todd beat me to it with the sizes.

Thanks all. It dawned on me after posting that these are flared. Greatly appreciate the sizes. Yes, dirt, moisture and leaks are all things I’m seeking to remedy.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The common trick is to cut the old pressure hose and slip it over the nipple on the return fitting coming off the box. Closes the system and you can still steer without puking all the fluid on the ground or hydraulicly locking up the box.

OP
OP
stanz

stanz

Loc.
Portland
The common trick is to cut the old pressure hose and slip it over the nipple on the return fitting coming off the box. Closes the system and you can still steer without puking all the fluid on the ground or hydraulicly locking up the box.

Great idea. That’s essentially what I had in mind - and even simpler to pull off!