• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Family Cage

matt w

Bronco Guru
Well I am chewing on the need for a Fam. Roll Cage.

I wanted to know if a kit or cage is made that allows one to use the glove box.

I don't "need" to tie into the frame, unless the kit/design to use the glove box calls for the need.

I also really do not want to fit the seats to the cage and do not want the style of cage that has bars behind the two front seats.

I really want to do this right..the 1st time. Any advice and direction on this subject is appreciated.

Thank you

PHARMIE

I looked and searched for one that allowed the use of the glove compartment in the stock location! I found nothing as far as i know you will either have to cut and move the glove box or notch your cage to allow it to open.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I looked and searched for one that allowed the use of the glove compartment in the stock location! I found nothing as far as i know you will either have to cut and move the glove box or notch your cage to allow it to open.

Yup, or do the glove box door mod - there's a link in the tech section.

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
Im getting ready to bend up my family cage and im using 1 3/4" tubing. It is the same size and thickness that i used on my drag car a few years back. i WILL still be able to use my glovebox without having to modify it. my pillar tubes will be real close to my doors when shut but it will not interfear with the motion of my glovebox. i will keep you posted. i ordered the tubing yesterday. i will start bending it up late next week.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Call Protofab. They have the 'overhaulin' back half family cage that would work. Or if you look into what truck freight is on a cage, you could probably justify 2 tanks of gas to go pick up a real family cage AND order a tuffy glove box. Just a thought.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Call Protofab. They have the 'overhaulin' back half family cage that would work. Or if you look into what truck freight is on a cage, you could probably justify 2 tanks of gas to go pick up a real family cage AND order a tuffy glove box. Just a thought.

Not a bad idea!...(I have ProtoFab bumpers!;D )...I wish it was only 2 tanks of gas from Santa Clarita!...heh-heh;D

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I also really do not want to fit the seats to the cage and do not want the style of cage that has bars behind the two front seats.

I really want to do this right..the 1st time.

If you really want to do it right, mount the seats and harnesses to the cage. If the seats are mounted to the tub, and the cage isn't tied to the frame, the cage can rip free of the tub sheet metal in a bad crash (I've seen it) leaving you with zero protection.

I build my own cages. The last one I built was made out of 1.75" tube, and I could still use the glove compartment in its stock location. I don't know why it seems so hard to do for most companies making EB cages.