• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bailie Family Cage is in!

NJBronk

Contributor
After tackling the body mounts I got some strong neighbors to help me lift the Bailie family cage in place. Small chip near the glove box and cut some weather stripping, but overall not a bad install. Definitely need to move or bend the parking brake and the fuel gauge selector switch JUST barely works.

I ended up painting with VHT satin black roll bar and chassis paint. It’s not perfect but I saved a ton over powder coating, can touch it up, and my boys helped me.

Overall I’m pleased. I’m going to try these seat belts with the extended sash to see if they fit with the mounting points: https://www.wescoperformance.com/3poresebewil.html

Then rampage soft top is next…

D522B73C-A12D-4100-A17D-CF199C69733A.jpeg

C3A47CBF-75BD-45F9-A721-4604CA2795B5.jpeg
2278479F-E115-4DBE-814F-64DF8ADDFEF5.jpeg
AAE7E1BC-EE9D-4E6C-AF61-DA7652A2D75A.jpeg
856ACD0D-2CC0-4164-9B10-C739E5FC2B4A.jpeg
4ABD30E5-6732-4D3D-949C-AA89F9632798.jpeg
C375B9B1-623E-4A2D-BB71-CF1E5F612D49.jpeg

OP
OP
N

NJBronk

Contributor
I used a BMX peg on my ebrake.....works well
Interesting idea. I'm afraid the ebrake pedal isn't coming all the way up though as it hits the leg of the cage. I think it's fully disengaged but need to check/adjust.

OP
OP
N

NJBronk

Contributor
It is very simple to unbolt the E brake from the dash, single bolt. Move it toward the passenger side until it clears the leg, drill a new hole and replace the bolt. Done a bunch of them like that.
That is what I’m going to try, thanks!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
After tackling the body mounts I got some strong neighbors to help me lift the Bailie family cage in place. Small chip near the glove box and cut some weather stripping, but overall not a bad install. Definitely need to move or bend the parking brake and the fuel gauge selector switch JUST barely works.

I ended up painting with VHT satin black roll bar and chassis paint. It’s not perfect but I saved a ton over powder coating, can touch it up, and my boys helped me.

Overall I’m pleased. I’m going to try these seat belts with the extended sash to see if they fit with the mounting points: https://www.wescoperformance.com/3poresebewil.html

Then rampage soft top is next…

View attachment 899974

View attachment 899976
View attachment 899978
View attachment 899979
View attachment 899980
View attachment 899981
View attachment 899982

hell yes.. looks awesome

OP
OP
N

NJBronk

Contributor
@NJBronk did you get it sorted out sir?
Yes, thanks. Took all of 10 minutes maybe…

I used a trick from the duff hood strut installation instructions and put a wooden shim on the other side of the dash panel while drilling so that I’d hit that instead of the wiring harness. I’m glad I did.

I was a bit afraid that I’d hit the parking brake accidentally with my left foot when going from the clutch pedal to resting on the floor, since it’s now pretty close, but that hasn’t been an issue.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yes, thanks. Took all of 10 minutes maybe…

I used a trick from the duff hood strut installation instructions and put a wooden shim on the other side of the dash panel while drilling so that I’d hit that instead of the wiring harness. I’m glad I did.

I was a bit afraid that I’d hit the parking brake accidentally with my left foot when going from the clutch pedal to resting on the floor, since it’s now pretty close, but that hasn’t been an issue.

oustanding...

OP
OP
N

NJBronk

Contributor
Looks great. Gordon makes one sexy cage! What mounts did you use to install those speakers?

Indeed - I love the design and strength of it!

I debated what to do about a stereo for a while. I ripped out the PO's poorly done head unit from the center console along with the loose speaker box sliding around the back, as well as the early 90's cassette deck from the dash that wasn't hooked up. One day I'll probably do a full setup via the center console or a vintage-looking dash unit, but I wanted some tunes in the meantime, so I just got a portable JBL Bluetooth speaker and a Velcro strap to mount it to the rollbar. The sound is OK, not really great and not much bass, but it does the trick for now. And the speaker has a shoulder strap so I can take it with me when I'm at the beach, etc. or lock it in the center console if I want to. And when I do put a proper stereo in the Bronk I'll have a nice portable Bluetooth speaker still for other uses.... I also like to turn it on while working on the truck in the garage. Battery life is really good, I just charge it every once in a while by running an extension cord to it while it's still mounted.

Speaker:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVPZJTV/
Mounting Strap:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZWCTNJH/

The angled support on the opposite side of the cage now has a HalGuard clean fire extinguisher on a quick-release mount.

Jax302

Could you post a pic of the underside mounting point of the front member? Doesn’t look like much room with the original fuel tank.

OP
OP
N

NJBronk

Contributor
Could you post a pic of the underside mounting point of the front member? Doesn’t look like much room with the original fuel tank.

That was the trickiest part. There’s a metal plate perpendicular to the floor in front of the tank that made it really tight. I was only able to get the nuts on (no washer) in that area, including one that’s under the tank strap. Maybe if I was able to wedge the leg back a fraction of an inch I would have been able to get a washer in there, but it was hard to tell where I was when measuring and drilling.

Thinking of cutting a piece of flat stock to act as one big washer between the two bolts in that area, but not sure that will make much of a difference.

A bit tough to take a good picture while it’s stuck in the garage, but I tried:

IMG_8801.jpeg

Jax302

I was planning on a 23 gallon tank at some point. Maybe I'll do that before I go ahead with the cage install. I'll have to look again, that might not help with the metal plate issue. The wife would really like her side of the garage back as I've had a roll cage in there for a year or so.