• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fan direction?

jcb9089

I need help making sure I get the correct fan. When I stand in front of the bronco, the fan turns in a clockwise direction.

What orientation do I need to be to determine fan direction, standing in front of the bronco or is it determined from engine side?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Usually reffered to as standard rotation or reverse rotation. Standard means the fan turns the same direction as the crankshaft, clockwise when looking front to back. Reverse rotation is typically used with serpentine belt systems. I don't believe the clutches are designed to operate in either direction.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What you describe is standard rotation (same direction as the crankshaft spings)
The reverse rotation is for serpentine belt applications. The belt forms an "S" between the crank and waterpump pulleys. this pulls the waterpump with the backside of the belt and it spins "reverse" of the crankshaft.

By the nature of the inner workings of a fan clutch, it should not work the same in reverse. If you didn't know... The fan clutch is a pump. It just circulates the silicone fluid withen itself. The thermal spring controls a valve. When it senses heat, the spring closes the valve, the pump body now has a load on it and spins the fan. The more the valve closes, the more flow is stopped and the more locked up the pump/fan clutch becomes. Take it a step further and there is a pressure relief valve in there as well that opens to limit the fan RPM at really high engine speeds. If you go backwards the whole arrangment of pump and valves should all be wrong. Not saying that they don't make versions that will work both ways, but the one I have taken apart wouldn't be happy going the wrong way.

OP
OP
jcb9089

jcb9089

Thanks guys, here's a good link too.

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/StandardVsReverseRotationFans.htm

So my efi build is almost done. I have a couple problems that Viperwolf has helped me, but my engine gets too hot fast.

I found and solved one vacuum leak, but I think there is another. I wasn't sure if a vacuum leak would cause an engine to get really hot fast so I was making sure my fan is going in the right direction. I'm just hoping there isn't something else wrong besides a vacuum leak.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
drop a piece of Kleenex between the grille and radiator close to front of radiator with engine idling. if it is sucked into and sticks to the radiator it is operating properly. if it is blown away from radiator and goes toward the grille it is wrong.