• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fan rotation question

CDOG

Loc.
Tucson
As I am sitting in the drivers seat, my fan turns counterclockwise. Is that standard or reverse rotation. I need to order a new rigid fan and I am a little confused.

horsewpt69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Industry, Pa
To my knowledge, the later model 5.0 motors are reverse rotation with the serpentine setup. The routing of the belt turns the fan in a reverse rotation. The standard V belt is regular rotation if you are still running an original motor and or using the V belt setup. Hope I helped;D

OP
OP
CDOG

CDOG

Loc.
Tucson
Well you may have helped, but I will have to think about that for a while, I have an 89 Mustang 5.0 but the P.O. did not use the serpintine system. It has a v-belt system now. Now I am confused. I will read closer and try to make it make sense.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It is standard rotation

Standard rotation is the fan turning the same direction as the crankshaft
Reverse rotation is a fan turning the opposite direction of the crankshaft as the back of the serpintine belt rides on the waterpump rotating it the opposite direction of the crankshaft.

If the waterpump pulley is grooved or ribbed, standard rotation
If the waterpump pulley is smooth, reverse rotation

OP
OP
CDOG

CDOG

Loc.
Tucson
I see you said and/or v-belts means standard rotation. Is that correct?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I see you said and/or v-belts means standard rotation. Is that correct?

I do not see any "and/or" statment on this page except for your mystery reference. What are you refering to?

V-belts are standard roatation. and/or what about them?

OP
OP
CDOG

CDOG

Loc.
Tucson
In post number 3 he says if you are running a stock motor and or v-belts. I did not catch the and/or the first time I read it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ah, no "/" combined with bad grammer that I read through.
Post #3 would make more sence if "or" was replaced with "your"

Let us know if you are still confuesed on your fan direction. I think it is fairly clear by now.

OP
OP
CDOG

CDOG

Loc.
Tucson
I am going with standard. I am about to place the order so stop me if I am screwing up. Thanks for all the help.

OP
OP
CDOG

CDOG

Loc.
Tucson
Well I just got more confused. Summits website says the Derale fan, part number 17515 has standard fan blades and clockwise rotation. The Derale website says it is standard rotation but doesn't say anything about direction. the 17415 part number says reverse rotation.

jdkin01

Loc.
SoCal
When they say clockwise, they're looking from the front of the engine looking back, not in the drivers seat.

horsewpt69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Industry, Pa
In post number 3 he says if you are running a stock motor and or v-belts. I did not catch the and/or the first time I read it.

Sorry if I caused you confusion with my wording. I never learned me how to spoke to good some of the time;D I would say contact Summit(if that's were you are buying from), and ask them for an explination on the fans. Tell them your setup and hopefully they will set you up with what you need. For the most part, ever time I've called their tech line they have been helpful. Good Luck and let us know how ya mad out.;D How'd I do that time Broncobowsher?;D your killin me.;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sorry if I caused you confusion with my wording. I never learned me how to spoke to good some of the time;D I would say contact Summit(if that's were you are buying from), and ask them for an explination on the fans. Tell them your setup and hopefully they will set you up with what you need. For the most part, ever time I've called their tech line they have been helpful. Good Luck and let us know how ya mad out.;D How'd I do that time Broncobowsher?;D your killin me.;D

Not bad. I ready poorly translated documents daily. I have learned to figure what they were trying to say even if it wasn't printed right. so often the case I don't even catch myself doing it anymore.