• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fan shroud for ‘66 Bronco with 170ci 6 cylinder

norm02

Hey everyone,

I’m thinking about adding a fan shroud to my Bronco and I was curious as to which one is recommended by people who have one on their 6 cylinder. Please let me know which one you have and if there are any tricks to installing it. Thanks!

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
They didn't come with you originally and I've never seen someone add a shroud to a 170, are you having overheating issues?

OP
OP
norm02

norm02

They didn't come with you originally and I've never seen someone add a shroud to a 170, are you having overheating issues?

Yeah I know it didn’t have one originally I’m not really having any serious overheating issues. It does get a little warmer than I’d like when I’m in stop & go traffic during the summer here in Texas.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you still have a standard radiator for the six-cylinder engine? Or are you running a V8 radiator instead?
Just wondering, since all the shrouds I know of are designed around the V8 radiator so would not easily install on the smaller, down-flow radiator.

Did any passenger cars with the inline-six come with shrouds? If so one of those might be a better fit.
Probably something out there, but I've not seen them. Custom is an option of course, but other than that I don't know what direction to send you.

What about the fan itself? Wasn't the 170 fan a smaller diameter 4-blade model? Or does it have more blades?
How hot is it getting in traffic, and have you verified the gauge temp reading with another method (second opinion method) to be sure you're seeing what you're seeing?
Maybe a small electric pusher fan would net you the same results of slightly lower temps at slow speeds in case you can't find a shroud.

Another option, again more of a Frankenstein method, would be to source a larger mechanical fan but make sure it's got a clutch so the 170 isn't constantly pushing that larger power-sucker up front.

Good luck. Curious what you end up doing.

Paul

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
are you sure radiator core is clean inside? if it's original radiator that's a lot of years of possible build up. that 170 should run pretty cool

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I've seen two 66 with 6 blade fans instead of 4 blade, both had a Houston DSO.

hucklburry rev2

I am thinking about it on my 250 swap - a couple vendors carry the Vintage Air shroud, 32066-LFF, looks to be $98 from the vendors or Vintage Air - Bronco Graveyard has them, amazon costs more if you search the part #, well maybe not, its all on shipping costs....I just don't know how much higher I am at the fan with the 250. The spec's say 15" fan also, and I haven't measured fans yet.