• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

fan spacer

rockinrich

Contributor
Can anyone tell me is this piece supposed to just sit on top of the second cut of the water pump?It's been awhile since i had it off and don't remember and if so i guess once the pulley and fan are attached it ain't going anywhere?

Attachments

• IMG_20240520_172716231.jpg
    IMG_20240520_172716231.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20240520_172756412.jpg
    IMG_20240520_172756412.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
Dang...takes a healthy press to get that on or off. No bueno.
Yeah looking like i need to order a new water pump and while i'm there might as well take a look at the timing chain.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But then they’d have to get it back on! Or does the flange slip on and off the shaft easily?

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Remember, companies sell rebuilt water pumps, so pressing them on and off is a thing. The shaft goes all the way through and will need proper support.

The water pump for my skid steer, rebuilding it myself is the only way I will get one. That one has a lock bolt if I recall.

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
But then they’d have to get it back on! Or does the flange slip on and off the shaft easily?
I can take this one on and off but not sure if that's how it's supposed to be Paul. Are the new ones held on by some some sort of keway?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No. Water pump pulley flanges are on there good and tight as was mentioned earlier.
It takes a strong puller or press to move them.
No key way that I’m aware of, but that doesn’t mean that some of them don’t come so equipped.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not to mention that it has to be seated precisely in the right plane, or your belts won’t ride true.
Maybe V-belts are a little more forgiving, but you still need to get them pretty close.

Which is, I believe, why you actually need, or are at least better off, with a new pump. Rather than rebuilding the existing one.

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
Not to mention that it has to be seated precisely in the right plane, or your belts won’t ride true.
Maybe V-belts are a little more forgiving, but you still need to get them pretty close.

Which is, I believe, why you actually need, or are at least better off, with a new pump. Rather than rebuilding the existing one.
Thanks Paul,i agree and i'm sure this is probably the original water pump and i would think with this being a 74 bronco,i'm sure they have improved water pumps over 50 years!

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
To me, that looks like the flange for the water pump that the fan and fan clutch bolt to. I've never seen one that would come off, its always part of the water pump when you get a new one.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=948965&cc=1105579&pt=2208&jsn=1035
Also wanted to say,i don't think i have ever ordered anything from rock auto probably due to there is basically no customer service from what i can tell,can't call anyone there,maybe i'm wrong?They do seem to have good prices on things,but everything is through the mail and when i need something i want to be able to go down and get it,any thoughts on this?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
…and i would think with this being a 74 bronco,i'm sure they have improved water pumps over 50 years!
I would say that’s a pretty bold assumption on your part! 😉😁
Frankly, the state and quality of modern auto parts sucks! Yes, they have made improvements and engineering, but only if you buy good ones at a high price.
If you go cheap, which is the way everybody wants to go and the way the market is following, you get cheap.
With electrical and electro-mechanical items, you’re lucky if they work right out of the box!
Water pumps are not one of those problems areas, but I just wanted you to be aware of the blanket statement that things might’ve improved. Could you lead you down the wrong path.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
I would say that’s a pretty bold assumption on your part!
Frankly, the state and quality of modern auto parts sucks! Yes, they have made improvements and engineering, but only if you buy good ones at a high price.
If you go cheap, which is the way everybody wants to go and the way the market is following, you get cheap.
With electrical and electro-mechanical items, you’re lucky if they work right out of the box!
Water pumps are not one of those problems areas, but I just wanted you to be aware of the blanket statement that things might’ve improved. Could you lead you down the wrong path.
Lol,thanks paul,so i guess it's pretty much a crapshoot huh?Are there some name brands that one should stick with that are tried and trued?Such as the gates brand dmoses42 put up?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Honestly, I don’t think water pumps are that bad. I just wanted to make a point and get a laugh.
It really is bad out there, but water pumps are probably one of a few things remaining that you can usually trust.
Usually…

The go to manufacturer for many of us is FlowKooler.
They use their own high volume low resistance impellers. As do a couple of the other high end manufacturers.
But for these expect to spend over $100. Now after Covid probably more than 150! So that’s a big investment for a water pump, but it pretty much assures you no cooling issues as a result of a poor design impeller or lack of water supply.

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
Honestly, I don’t think water pumps are that bad. I just wanted to make a point and get a laugh.
It really is bad out there, but water pumps are probably one of a few things remaining that you can usually trust.
Usually…

The go to manufacturer for many of us is FlowKooler.
They use their own high volume low resistance impellers. As do a couple of the other high end manufacturers.
But for these expect to spend over $100. Now after Covid probably more than 150! So that’s a big investment for a water pump, but it pretty much assures you no cooling issues as a result of a poor design impeller or lack of water supply.
Thanks Paul,that's good to know,i will check flowkooler out,i don't mind spending more for a better product!Do they work well with a stock radiator or should i also upgrade that as well?