• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Favorite Tires?

MountainGuy

Loc.
Athens, Georgia
I was wondering what kind of tires you guys recommend.....i'll be buying some in the next year and want to hear some suggestions. Maybe...which tire is the best for the money.....

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
BFG M/T or A/T's are the best you can get, by far. That's the only tire I'd buy. DOn't get some POS mudders like TSL's, it won't drive worth a crap!

Amac70

ME
For the best street driving tire the bfg a/t last for ever and are a pretty good all around tire. I got over 60000mi out of the last set i had. if its strictly off road then you the swampers are the top of the game to me w/ the bfg mt and gy mt/r comming in a close second. The cheapest decent tire to me is the the uniroyal mud tire that wall mart sells less then a 100 for a 33x12.5 might not be the greatest or the prettyest but for an ocasional off roader i think it would serve the purpose well for cheap.

crazyhorseeb

depends on the use. For a street truck I'd look at BFG AT's, for a mostly street/some trail I'd look towards a BFG MT or a goodyear MTR. For something that sees about even trail/street use I'd look towards BFG's soon to be released to the public Krawler. For some street, mostly trail I'd look to a swamper SSR towards the more streetable end, and a TSL/SX for an almost exclusive trail truck (what mine wears on the trail, it's getting a set of military goodyear MT's for the street). For almost exclusive mud use I'd look at boggers. Finally for almost all mall crawling, you can't beat thornbirds or boggers... ;D

CObronco74

Loc.
Colorado
Goodyear MT/R's hands down. I run the 35's and they are awsome on the rocks and drive pretty darn good as well. The only downside I've heard is mudding, but I don't do much of that so it's ok with me. As far as milage I've only had them for about 1000, and they are showing no signs of wear, but someone else here might be able to better answer that.

huged29

Loc.
Ft Collins, Colorado
I got mine at discount tire for $160 a piece and they were the 35X12X15. I also got the free replacement warranty so if I blow em on a trail they will replace for free.

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
I have been running Wild Country M/S on Ernie cause thats what he came with. They still have lots of tread, so I am waiting, so many other things to buy for the EB....

However, it is time for tires for my daily driver. This is my first F250, and it came with Michelins on it. I priced them, and they are $250 a tire :eek:. THe tire distributor that I have used for years is Big O. Their E load A/T style tire in my size is $568 for a set of 4($142 each) mounted, balanced, with new stems, and with a road hazard warranty. (which I have used before, on my old truck. I work around construction and trucking sites, and catch hardware in my rubber all the time-take it in, free fix. Also they replaced a gashed tire with about 20,000 miles on it for free. I have to have them rotated regularly, which Big O does for free). By the way, on my old F150, I got about 50,000 miles out of a set of Big O Bigfoot 31x10.50x15's. It was all street and gravel.

I know, long story, so here is my question:

Do Goodyear and BF Goodrich have this kind of customer service? Is there that big a difference between the major brand names and the "discount" tires? and if there is, what is it?

dpm

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
I will say that the Interco Super Swamper Bogger is the best tire for all off road needs . They are great on rocks , mud , dirt , snow and water :eek: .... what do I have on my bronco right now ? MTR's ...would I buy another set of them ? No ! Because I enjoy doing all of the above , and the MTR's just don't cut it for me like the boggers do . I will be replacing them with another set of Boggers as soon as I get it ($$$) saved up ;) <br> As far as the other makes and types of tires , keep this in mind ... a 60K mile tire is too hard to do rocks but will churn through the good fairly well . Softer durometer tires tend to stick to things like a tree frog on glass but they don't wear very well on the street .They will , however , work great on wet surfaces and snow/ice conditions . Some tires I would recommend for all around general purpose ... in no particular order .<br>Uniroyal AWT (not the AWS)<br>Yokohama Geolander MT (not the AT)<br>BFG MT & AT<br>Kumho MT<br>

randall

MT/Rs!!! i have set of 37s and i couldnt be happier, i just got rid of my swampers because i didnt like them, they are way to stiff for me. But if your mudding you cant beat them. Anyways, if you look at alot of the rock buggies these days a whole lot of them are running the mtr, they are really tough to beat on the rocks, and they work pretty damn well on the street too.

OffRoadObsession

Loc.
Frankston/Tyler, TX
RADIALS <br>SIZE PRICE <br><br>27-8.50R-14 --$N/A <br>215-75R-15 --$113 <br>235-75R-15XL-- $128 <br>30-9.50R-15 --$128 <br>31-10.50R-15 --$135 <br>325-60R-15-- $173 <br>32-11.50R-15-- $144 <br>33-9.50R-15-- $145 <br>33-10.50R-15 --$147 <br>33-12.50R-15-- $151 <br>35-12.50R-15 --$162 <br>235-70R-16 --$151 <br>255-70R-16 --$175 <br>225-75R-16 --$143 <br>245-75R-16 --$161 <br>265-75R-16 --$171 <br>235-85R-16 --$144 <br>255-85R-16-- $146 <br>285-75R-16 --$187 <br>295-75R-16 --N/A <br>305-70R-16-- $200 <br>31-10.50R-16.5 --$145 <br>33-12.50R-16.5-- $159 <br>35-12.50R-16.5-- $182 <br>285-70R-17 --$194 <br>35-12.50R-17 --$216 <br>37-12.50R-17-- $274 <br>35-12.50R-18 --$276 <br> Tires plus F.E.T<br><br>This is what i got from NTW... Hope it helps... these are the MT's...

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
[quote author=dpm77 link=board=5;threadid=12187;start=0#90261 date=1039561918]<br>I have been running Wild Country M/S on Ernie cause thats what he came with. They still have lots of tread, so I am waiting, so many other things to buy for the EB....<br><br>However, it is time for tires for my daily driver. This is my first F250, and it came with Michelins on it. I priced them, and they are $250 a tire :eek:. THe tire distributor that I have used for years is Big O. Their E load A/T style tire in my size is $568 for a set of 4($142 each) mounted, balanced, with new stems, and with a road hazard warranty. (which I have used before, on my old truck. I work around construction and trucking sites, and catch hardware in my rubber all the time-take it in, free fix. Also they replaced a gashed tire with about 20,000 miles on it for free. I have to have them rotated regularly, which Big O does for free). By the way, on my old F150, I got about 50,000 miles out of a set of Big O Bigfoot 31x10.50x15's. It was all street and gravel.<br><br>I know, long story, so here is my question: <br><br>Do Goodyear and BF Goodrich have this kind of customer service? Is there that big a difference between the major brand names and the "discount" tires? and if there is, what is it?<br> <br>dpm<br>[/quote]<br><br>Just stick with what works Big O, Les Schwab and Discount Tire are the only ones I will stick with. Firestone sucks had a tire blow out a sidewall with less than 1000 miles on it and they said "nothing we can do except sell you another." ::) ::) ::) :mad: Screw you guys called Schwab and they said they would get me a firestone tire to match the other 3 new ones I had and they said if it blows out they would replace it free 8). It just depends on the companies I'd ask around and find out where your buddies or club members get their tires and find out their service quality.

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
The mtr's are the best all around tire. But I will never run them because swampers are so much better off road. I've got 36" sx's and I am planning on upgrading to 38.5" sx's as soon as mony allows. Howie you should try a standard swamper. I think you'd be surprised and happy. But I know your a bogger man, er was that burger?<br>:Later, Jake<br><br>

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
I bought some 35x12.50 mtr's on ebay from stewart&stewart racing for $515 + $80 shipping. But, I think the best tire for the price is the conti- trac mud terrain. Desert Rat sells them for about $200 cheaper than you can get the bfg mt's for, and I've abused them without so much as a leak.<br> If this is going to spend alot of time on the steet I'd recommend the bfg at's. They do good on the rocks too.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Gotta say MTR's atm. They are super quit and ride so dam nice. I have had BFG AT and they suck mucho arse. Then went to BFG MTs and loved them until I went to the 37 inch MTRs. <br><br>BTW my buddy has boggers and they suck hardcore in the rocks.

randall

I disagree with that. I was on a trail run a few weeks ago and i walked all over the guy with 36" SXs. The section i walked through and never slipped a tire, his front tires just started wandering all over the waterfall. But if you really want a swamper, i would go with the SSR or another radial because from what ive seen they have alot better sidewall flex than any bias-ply.

OffRoadObsession

Loc.
Frankston/Tyler, TX
i say if your all off road mostly mud i would go with the boggers... but if i drove on the road more than the trail i would go with mtr's or more trail than road... go with the sx's... or you could buy a set for the the road and buy a set for the trail :-U but this is all more money.. I think i wouldnt run boggers because they would wear down hella quick... i think my next set will be the mtr's... But its all on what you do with them and where you drive mostly...

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
Go with Goodyear wrangler MTR's. I have a set I just put on and I will probably go with those for now on if the wear is as good as I hear.