• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Favorite Tires?

CObronco74

Loc.
Colorado
I disagree with the boggers being the best offroad tire. Sure they're unbeatable in the mud, but how many guys do you see running them in rock competitions? Very few if any! I do like the SX's though, and if I didn't drive my bronco on the street so much I would've got them over the mt/r's.

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
I definitely say if weight and road noise aren't mattering, I would take SX's any day over the boggers. Boggers are for truck pulling and mudding and that's about it.

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
[quote author=randall link=board=5;threadid=12187;start=15#90452 date=1039616038]<br>I disagree with that. I was on a trail run a few weeks ago and i walked all over the guy with 36" SXs. The section i walked through and never slipped a tire, his front tires just started wandering all over the waterfall. But if you really want a swamper, i would go with the SSR or another radial because from what ive seen they have alot better sidewall flex than any bias-ply.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Not to attck you, but there could also be many other factors such as gearing, torque, and HP. If you have to use too much throttle, then your going to spin.

71pony

Loc.
SLC Utah
I have always had a set of 35'' Goodyears on my 71 ever since I got it. I drive it to work every day and all over town on weekends. I have 48,000 miles on my current set and still have over 38'' of tread left. I know that is not much, but given the fact that any other quality off road tire goes extinct at about 40,000. Except the Bfg A/t, which does not at all have the makings of true off road tire. As for swampers I run a set of 38 boggers in the sand, and in the sand only. No road or rocks. I have tried them in the rocks and suffered the outcome. The Mt'rs Dominate the rocks, look at all the new designs coming out from Procomp,BFG,Interco.... They all are looking a bit similar to the Mt'rs. I know this is long but I am a firm beliver.

broncomaddness

Loc.
Corpus Christi, Texa
As for swampers I run a set of 38 boggers in the sand, and in the sand only. No road or rocks. I have tried them in the rocks and suffered the outcome. The Mt'rs Dominate the rocks, look at all the new designs coming out from Procomp,BFG,Interco.... They all are looking a bit similar to the Mt'rs. I know this is long but I am a firm beliver. <br>
<br><br>How do the boggers fair in the sand? I'm thinking of running 35x14.5 boggers or Thompson Claws. Will be on 1/2 sand and 1/2 street. But the sand will be really soft and sinky stuff. Also, this will be with no lift. What problems can I expect. Don't think bout the metal, i've got a hungy saw. I'm worried bout the tie rod and anything else, steering, suspension etc. Anyone's recommendations are much appreceated.

edjolly

Loc.
Denver Colorado
Unless BFG has done something recently to improve their sidewall design, I'll stay away from them. The 15's have (had--I've had mine for 4 years) 3 ply sidewalls that shred if you pour milk on them.<br>I'll try GoodYear next time.<br><br>Ed<br>

71pony

Loc.
SLC Utah
Broncomaddness I know your concern, I have been there. But rest asure you in the right place for ansewers.<br>Welcome abord. <br><br>Ok as for running with no lift you will have about three options here; in my mind. <br><br>One, you can cut all the metel out you can, especialally in the back. Making sure you stay street legal since you are going to be one the road. Try to fit the 33x14.00 on there. You will have a big advantage here because you will have a very low center of gravity.( can here those bowls calling your name already ) .<br><br>Two. You can go with a set of the 31x12.50 and not really do anything to your eb. <br><br>Three. You can go the way I started, Buy a good set of street tires. Then buy two paddles tires on rims, take them with you to the dunes and switch them out there.<br>I know it is a little hassle, but you will get the best of both worlds. If you pick out the BFG at for your street tires I have noticed that they work great as front sand tires. <br><br><br>As for the rest of your eb, make it strong and dependalbe. Make sure you have gobs of horsepower, torque is great in the rocks but is instant death in the sand. Notice I run both dana 60's on mine, learned from experiance..<br><br> Good luck , I wish yo the best.<br>

randall

[quote author=swa0330 link=board=5;threadid=12187;start=15#90568 date=1039638350]<br>[quote author=randall link=board=5;threadid=12187;start=15#90452 date=1039616038]<br>I disagree with that. I was on a trail run a few weeks ago and i walked all over the guy with 36" SXs. The section i walked through and never slipped a tire, his front tires just started wandering all over the waterfall. But if you really want a swamper, i would go with the SSR or another radial because from what ive seen they have alot better sidewall flex than any bias-ply.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Not to attck you, but there could also be many other factors such as gearing, torque, and HP. If you have to use too much throttle, then your going to spin.<br>[/quote]<br>Ya i dont take anything like that personally, but he had 5.13 gears where as i only have 488s, about equal horse and torgue, they just didnt grab nearly as well, the compound seemed really hard. Maybe it was just the terrain though. I can guarantee you wont be unhappy with an mtr though. Just look through the mags and you will see more and more rigs popping up with them.

broncomaddness

Loc.
Corpus Christi, Texa
Pony,<br>Thanks for your advice.<br>Here in south Texas the cops could care less about bumper height, tire width and all that. good thing.<br>Believe me I know and wanted to have paddle tires, but the place where I'm running most is a nationaly protected seashore and mostly flat. The dunes are off limits, no paddle tires and no personal watercraft.Damn sea turtles,JK.<br>I am really rebuilding the rear half of my eb, because of rust. So this is a real custom job. And a low center of gravity is what I'm after. Plus I like the look. <br>I have two questions for you?<br>1) Are you running full width 60's?<br>2) Today I found a nice 351 to replace my 302. I think it is off of a 88 something (it is in a junkyard). Do you know the casting numbers for the different 351's W,C,M?<br>And is there any identifying differences between the three. Thanks for your help.<br>James<br>

71pony

Loc.
SLC Utah
Broncomadness <br><br>Yes I do run full width<br><br>The main diffrance to tell a Windsor from a Cleavland or Modified is that the windsor will have only 6 valve cover bolts, the Cleavland and Mod motor have 8.<br>As for telling the differance between a Cleavland and a mod, Well the cleavlnd was made From 70-74 the mod didnt even come into picture till 78.<br><br>Die sea turtles Die!!!<br><br>By the way I get down toward corpus cristie every now and then, check my other post on places to wheel. Help me out in that post.

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
[quote author=INPHOBIC link=board=5;threadid=12187;start=0#90387 date=1039582231]<br>The mtr's are the best all around tire. But I will never run them because swampers are so much better off road. I've got 36" sx's and I am planning on upgrading to 38.5" sx's as soon as mony allows. Howie you should try a standard swamper. I think you'd be surprised and happy. But I know your a bogger man, er was that burger?<br>:Later, Jake<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>All this talk about burgers had made me hungry ... what's for supper Jake ;D<br><br>Every one has their own opinion on what tire to run and let's face it , there aren't a whole lot of choices . All I can tell anyone is what works for me and what doesn't . I remember the first time I went rock crawling (Disney , Ok.) and watched a group of people try to climb up a wall (by the spillway next to the cabins) They all had different types and sizes of tires as well as different makes of vehicles, broncos , fj's , heeps,zukis, buggies and I watched each of them try to climb up this wall with no luck . When they were all done , I went over to the wall and drove my bronco , with 16-35x15 boggers , all the way up to the top without spinning a tire . <br><br>Anybody got a set of boggers they want to trade for a set of MTR's (35x12.5-17's ) Let's talk ;)

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
After some wheelin, some competiton watchin, I 'd have to say all-around the Goodyear MTR's (which I run ;) )lead the pack-but by just a hair over the BFG Muds KM. My 2 cents.

komodo72

Loc.
Tennessee
i believe (could be wrong) that alot of you guys here run 38's with 3.5 to 5.5 inch lifts. how in the world do you do this (lots of cuttin???) i have 5.5 inches and 35x12.50 bfg a/ts (but soon to be some swampers) and i rub like hell in the back trying to flex. whats the cheapest thing i can do besides cutting it, my dad wont let me. the EB sees mostly mud but rocks every once in awhile. I really want some 36's.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
[quote author=komodo72 link=board=5;threadid=12187;start=30#90966 date=1039742332]<br>i believe (could be wrong) that alot of you guys here run 38's with 3.5 to 5.5 inch lifts. how in the world do you do this (lots of cuttin???) i have 5.5 inches and 35x12.50 bfg a/ts (but soon to be some swampers) and i rub like hell in the back trying to flex. whats the cheapest thing i can do besides cutting it, my dad wont let me. the EB sees mostly mud but rocks every once in awhile. I really want some 36's.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Where is it rubbing?? body lift is about the only way to clear bigger tires if you cant cut. If its inner fender, you could cut that easy w/o dad knowing about it ) See whats rubbing and cut it off lol. Just dont cut at home.

moabers

Loc.
SLC, UTAH
I love my MTR's. 2 1/2 years daily driver (30+ miles) siped and a little lazy on rotates with a spool, and 1/2 left on the rears, and 1/3 left on the fronts (I just rotated finally). I am very happy with how they handle in all circumstances, especially snow and ice conditions. Minimal noise, and run quite true (considering). Alot of it is opinion, but with how I have folded my sidewalls without any problems, I really don't think anyone could go wrong with them. <br>I have been anti- Pro-Comps, but I have been hearing pretty good things about the XTerrains, anyone with experience?<br>But please, for the love of all things holy, no Thornbirds!! That is the quickest way to tell if a rig is for purpose or show. <br>

brokenhorse

Bronco Builder
Loc.
Wisconsin
In my opinion the mt's are the best because if there is some dirt ON the road I get great traction over it :eek: :p<br><br><br><br>What's OFFROADIN'???? ?:? ;D